Talk

Advanced search

Would it be dangerous to wear Spanx at 13 weeks pregnant?

(16 Posts)
RTchoke Fri 09-Nov-12 20:43:08

I have a work "do" tomorrow. I have not gone public with this pregnancy yet and am not ready to. Sadly, as this is DC 3, my stomach muscles have given up and I have a small bump. Its small but noticable in all my evening dresses. Would Spanx be dangerous even though I'm not too big yet?

Ellypoo Fri 09-Nov-12 21:01:40

Not sure about dangerous, but I would find them way too uncomfortable to wear - I can't stand anything tight across my lower tummy: am 14 weeks into 2nd pregnancy and my stomache muscles are non-existant now!!!

zigwig Fri 09-Nov-12 21:56:56

I'd try them on and see if you could cope all night in them. I'm with ellypoo I couldn't have put up with them digging in but if it doesn't bother you then wear them. I don't expect they will do harm except be uncomfortable. You can get mama spanx as well by the way which would be comfier if you can get some in time.

stinkinseamonkey Sat 10-Nov-12 11:37:10

I don't think as a once off, I think if you wear support all the time in pregnancy it can make your muscles weak?? so should be fine if you can tolerate them for this one time I guess?

or a different dress?

bamboobutton Sat 10-Nov-12 11:42:59

it's elasticated fabric, not whalebone corsetry!

at 13 weeks there is barely a detectable bump, but if you are worried try a looser brand, trinny and susannah ones are not as tight as spanx.

RightUpMyRue Sat 10-Nov-12 14:35:50

Not dangerous but oh so uncomfortable.

terilou87 Sat 10-Nov-12 14:55:11

its fine, i had really bad ligament pains at the beginning and my midwife advised me to wear tummy control pants/ leggings something to do with posture ect it worked aswell.

newbie6 Sat 10-Nov-12 23:00:33

You can get maternity spanx if that helps?

chroniclackofimagination Sun 11-Nov-12 01:32:22

No you'll be fine at 13 weeks, I wore mine up until about 16 weeks when going out/dressing up just to slim down my thighs in a clingy dress.

lotsofcheese Sun 11-Nov-12 17:54:31

I had the same problem yesterday! |Am 13 weeks too, I just wore a pair of support tights a size up from usual & didn't find it uncomfortable. I also had some carefully-chosen accessories to draw attention up eg scarf/wrap away from my pot belly. And a napkin over my tummy area during the meal.

Hopefully no-one suspected & if they did, nothing was said.

unexpectediteminbaggingarea Sun 11-Nov-12 17:57:04

I wore spanx at 22 weeks pregnant so I could wear my only wedding outfit (size 10). It was ok but ached by the end of the night and I remember thinking it probably hadn't been the best plan ever.

PeshwariNaan Sun 11-Nov-12 18:34:41

I bought maternity Spanx straight away (10 weeks) as I was already quite bloated in the belly and could not have fit in normal Spanx! Is this an option for you?

Lora1982 Sun 11-Nov-12 18:44:50

i wore some to fit in a dress around thaat time.... forgetting my boobs were bigger too. had to have help doing up the top of the zip :-D

kittyhello88 Fri 30-Nov-12 06:29:41

You women seem quite silly to me it's great to look beautiful and slim but spanx are quite restrictive. Women were meant to get big tummies while pregnant since the Golden age not hide in tight underwear. I think it's a really silly idea. smile

mirai Fri 30-Nov-12 06:45:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Flosshilde Fri 30-Nov-12 06:53:31

I squished myself into some control pants at about your stage in order to wear my smartest work dress to an important public meeting. I wore them from 6.30am to 10.30pm and was fine. Well apart from nearly collapsing with exhaustion afterwards, but I had an awful first trimester.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now