Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Plan to prevent manual removal of placebta

(3 Posts)
Fluffyfish Fri 09-Nov-12 20:24:28

First time round I had manual removal of placenta in theatre an hour post birth. Having asked about likelihood of this happening again and how to prevent it at every appt this time round, and having been met with blank looks and nothing you can dos, a midwifery sister told me this week there is a plan they can put in place including giving me the injection during delivery rather than after and a drip of some kind of drug straight after birth. So I have an obstetrician appt on mon to discuss this. But as an impatient pregno just wondered if anyone had this twice or had plan in place for second time or knows what they obstetrician might say?

mythreeblondies Fri 09-Nov-12 20:49:02

I had acmanual removal of placenta under general anasthetic after the birth of my second child. I was extremely worried about this with my third but I was given the injection during the 'pushing' stage and the placenta came away intact and easily. It was such a relief!

DorisIsWaiting Fri 09-Nov-12 20:51:59

Didn't want to leave your post unanswered.

I had a manual removal with DD1, it was brutual and piece by piece (it didn't help that the obs was has huge bloke with enormous hands (and I was in theatre with a team of blokes I knew very well (was management in same v small hospital!).

I had nightmares (proper wake up 4am sweating things) about dd2's birth. I ended up hypnobirthing and had the most fantastic birth. I worried a little less with dd3 but still passed the placenta without difficulty.

I was told repeatedly that there wasn't anything that could be done to lessen the risk, but as I had retained previously it did put me at a slightly higher risk of retaineing again.

I really hope you have a fab birth (and I throughly recommend the hypnobirthing CD's (didn't do the classes or anything like that)).

Good Luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now