Talk

Advanced search

Flutters became more regular... now have stopped at 19 weeks

(22 Posts)
LuckyOwl28 Fri 09-Nov-12 19:41:56

Although there were a few questionable feelings before 16 weeks, it was at this point I felt that I'd definitely felt the fluttering sensation of the baby move.

This happened every other day at first, then every day, then if I was lucky both in the morning and in bed at night.

I had this stomach bug last week and had severe sickness and diahorrea for 24 hours. Felt a flutter the following day but have felt nothing since (it's been a week today).

Has anyone else experienced a loss of movement this early on? I'm going to call my midwife tomorrow just in case, even if it's just to put my mind at rest. I don't think I'd be as worried if I hadn't had the sickness envy

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Fri 09-Nov-12 19:49:08

Baby could just have moved and in a position where u feel it less. Drink some ice water and see if that wakes him up
A bit. But I wouldn't wait til tomorrow to call can u call ur local maternity unit. Any reduction in movement should be checked out. I would tell them about the bug though as they may rather send someone to u rather than have u go in. Hope ur feeling better.

It's probably just sleeping or u haven't noticed as u haven't been well x

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Fri 09-Nov-12 19:50:13

Just realized its been a week. Call them tell them now x

LuckyOwl28 Fri 09-Nov-12 21:07:30

They've basically said at 19 weeks unless I have abdominal pains and/or bleeding they can't do anything. Great

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Fri 09-Nov-12 21:10:21

sad that's an appalling answer !! They can do somethin! They can listen to the heart beat and they can scan u!! God forbid something has happened they need to find out.

Snazzyfeelingfestive Fri 09-Nov-12 21:12:34

Can you actually show up at your local hospital and then they might check it out? It's easier to fob you off on the phone. Fingers crossed for you.

LuckyOwl28 Fri 09-Nov-12 21:17:30

My husband rang the midwifery wards at both local hospitals as I was getting a bit worked up. The first more or less fobbed him off as soon as he said how many weeks I am, the second took the call more seriously and a few people spoke to him, but the final answer was that at 19 weeks movements aren't clear enough to pattern so unless I have other symptoms there's nothing they can do.

She said some people don't feel anything until after 19 weeks, and I actually wouldn't be as worried if I hadn't felt anything by now, its the loss of movement I'm concerned about!

My next scan isn't til the 23rd I don't want to wait that long. I don't want to be melodramatic by turning up on a ward but just want peace of mind!

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Fri 09-Nov-12 21:22:30

I don't think you are being melodramatic at all. As u say u have experienced a loss of movements. Any change in movements should be checked out. I'm sad for you that no one seems willing to see you. Have u tried the cold water trick? Or drink some coke ( not diet) see if the cold/sugar encourages movement ?

sw11mumofone Fri 09-Nov-12 21:34:45

I was getting paranoid at lack of movement and my midwife said I shouldnt tell you this but if youre worried go to the epu and say youve had a bit of bleeding - thats the only way you'll get a scan at this stage. I didnt want to do that, but if you are really worried put yourself and your baby first and do what you need to do x

LuckyOwl28 Fri 09-Nov-12 22:15:44

Yes have tried the cold water trick, have also just tried a warm bath followed by a drink of cold water lying down. In fact my husband keeps finding me lying down with a glass of water naked in various parts of the house. I'm sure if this all passes we'll look back at how silly I was....

A midwife visits our doctors Tues morning, I'm going to call and see if I can arrange for her to see me sooner if not Tuesday. She didn't do the heartbeat at my last antenatal, will she usually have it on her or will I have to request it?

It doesn't help that I don't actually know who my midwife is or have a direct number for one. I booked in at one place, have had my scan somewhere else and antenatal at my Doctors.

sw11mumofone

I may do that if I don't get any kind of result with the midwife, thanks

Snazzyfeelingfestive Fri 09-Nov-12 22:20:29

I would seriously do what the post above suggests, OP. You have been unreasonably fobbed off when you have a legitimate concern.

LuckyOwl28 Sat 10-Nov-12 15:50:23

Finally got an appt for 6pm this eve. Fingers crossed....

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Sat 10-Nov-12 16:22:03

Really hope everything goes well. Glad u got an appointment.

itsmyfirsteek Sat 10-Nov-12 20:04:17

Hi, how did you get on at your appt? Really hoping everythings ok and baby is just hiding xxx

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Sat 10-Nov-12 20:06:35

Hey op how r u x

Really hope all is well xx

sw11mumofone Sat 10-Nov-12 20:21:06

Good news that they fitted you in for an appointment. Did it ok. Everything crossed for you x

sw11mumofone Sat 10-Nov-12 20:21:40

Did it go ok - is what I meant..

LuckyOwl28 Sat 10-Nov-12 20:47:28

Thankyou ladies for your concern smile

Got the all clear, she picked up a strong heartbeat straight away!

She said the bug may have caused the baby to turn in a completely different position which makes it harder for me to feel.

Feel so relieved! We're celebrating with chocolate and Prosecco (guess who's having which lol)

Thanks again! grin

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Sat 10-Nov-12 20:48:20

grin soooooo happy for you!!!!!

sw11mumofone Sat 10-Nov-12 20:55:47

Such great news!

itsmyfirsteek Sat 10-Nov-12 20:58:46

Great news! Enjoy the choccie xxx

Snazzyfeelingfestive Sat 10-Nov-12 22:56:06

Great! Glad you are able to relax now. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now