Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

is it okay to take antibiotics in the early weeks????

(10 Posts)
MrFranklyShankly Fri 09-Nov-12 17:01:01

Hi im 6+4 today and hd a scan today...got to see a little heartbeat:-) only problem was traces of blood in my urine so they gave me antibiotics for wat they suspect is a uti....just worried niw after seeing the hb that taking the antibs will do something to baba??? I know if the dr prescribed them its prob safe but still hd a mmc 2 months ago so just very nervous. Frankly

RightUpMyRue Fri 09-Nov-12 17:02:46

Presumably your doctor knows you are PG? He wouldn't have prescribed them if they weren't safe to take.

OwllwOOwllwO Fri 09-Nov-12 17:07:34

I was prescribed antibiotics for a UTI and kidney infection when I was preggers. I now have a healthy and happy 5month old girl. You'll be fine and more importantly so will your little bean. Congratulations grin

ICompletelyKnowAboutGuineaPigs Fri 09-Nov-12 18:16:01

I had amoxicillin at about the same stage of pregnancy for a wisdom tooth infection. I took them because I was in agony and didn't want it to get worse and end up needing stronger antibiotics.

Although i was told that they were safe I still checked the Medicine database online to confirm for my own piece of mind.

The other thing to mention is whether the hospital sent your sample off for testing and have you had any symptoms? I have traces of protein in my urine at every testing and this has been the case in all 3 of my pregnancies. They do routinely send it off but nothing ever comes back so if they just gave me antibiotics I'd be permanently on them! I'm not suggesting not taking the antibiotics but it might be worth checking if they sent the sample off and asking for the results?

SoYo Fri 09-Nov-12 18:43:23

Yes they're fine. Untreated UTI increases risk of miscarriage so benefit massively outweighs risk and most common types for use in pregnancy (amoxicillin or cefradine) are well used and safe.

Fairylea Fri 09-Nov-12 18:48:45

Yes it's more dangerous not to take them if they have been prescribed due to risk of fever.

I suffer recurrent utis and take long term antibiotics and took them all throughout both my healthy pregnancies at a high dose.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Sat 10-Nov-12 10:10:13

Depends which antibiotics?! Trimethoprim isn't safe in the first two trimesters but there are plenty of alternatives that are safe. I agree that taking the antibiotics is lower risk than leaving an infection untreated.

lookingfoxy Sat 10-Nov-12 11:27:36

Hi, im a couple weeks further on than you and was prescribed cefalexin on thurs for a uti. I looked it up on google (I know) and its in the same class as paracetemol.

stinkinseamonkey Sat 10-Nov-12 11:40:14

since UTIs can put pregnancies at risk I think the benefit outweighs the risk

I took antibiotics for a UTI this time (later on), don't like taking them but going into premature labour would have been worse (which the UTI can cause)

took antibiotics early on in pregnancy with no 1 because I had a bad chest infection that was making my temperature spike even with paracetamol (high temperatures can also put the pregnancy at risk)

So for things I would tolerate without antibiotics when not pregnant (like mild UTIs or sweating out a chest infection) I will take antibiotics for when pregnant as the risks are grater IYKWIM

MrFranklyShankly Sat 10-Nov-12 14:02:02

Thanks evetyone for the replies yeah i was thinking they wuld prob be safe enough just needed some reassurance....dr told me to take them as im hving lots of uti symptoms even tho the results wont be bck from the lab from my urine sample untill end of nxt wk....thanks again for the reassurance. Frankly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now