Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

what do newborns WEAR??

(52 Posts)
emeraldgirl1 Fri 09-Nov-12 16:43:10

I think there has been a thread on this before but I couldn't find it...

The question is in the thread title - what do newborn babies wear? I have no clue!!! Due in March so assuming no need for much heavy fleece/woollen stuff. Beyond that I don't know what the hell I am doing. A nappy, and then...? Expecting a girl, so will she wear tights in the daytime? Is it just day versions of babygros? Do I need vests? Socks? Hats?

Dear Lord, I am clueless, aren't I?

Teladi Fri 09-Nov-12 16:48:09

Mine wore a nappy, then on top of that a vest with short sleeves, then on top of that a sleepsuit with long sleeves, poppers down the front, and feet. If I bought ones that don't have feet, I would need socks. Socks don't really stay on though!

A woolly hat is probably a good idea to keep head warm when outside. I never found the cotton hats very useful. I am in Scotland so in March she was still wearing a big puffy snowsuit when we went out too.

Having said that, people will buy you about a million tiny outfits. Underneath them I would put a vest with short sleeves!

RightUpMyRue Fri 09-Nov-12 16:49:53

She will wear a nappy and then a vest (the ones with t-shirt sleeves and poppers at the gusset) and then she can either wear babygrows or outfits if you can be faffed with them. She will need tights or leggings if she's wearing a dress and socks if she's wearing trousers.

In terms of keeping her warm she needs the same as you plus one light layer.

I personally find babygrows easier but adorable outfits are nice for sometimes.

Whatever she wears she will puke and shit on it and then outgrow it within a fortnight smile

emeraldgirl1 Fri 09-Nov-12 16:50:39

Thanks Teladi - forgive the dim question but do they wear sleepsuits even during the day? (I know they sleep during the day - not quite that hopeless - but just wondering if is neccessary/possible to change them into a different type of clothing during the day?

KeemaNaanAndCurryOn Fri 09-Nov-12 16:51:37

Nappy, vest, babygro. Optional scratch mits and hat. Thats all you need.

1st baby and I bought loads of clothes that were never worn.
2nd baby and I bought a load of vests and sleep suits and that went down fine.

BigWhoop Fri 09-Nov-12 16:52:38

Leggings are good. Anything comfy. You'll be given loads of dresses which are completely impractical and useless - but they look nice on the hanger lol! grin

emeraldgirl1 Fri 09-Nov-12 16:52:42

Thanks so much RightUpMyRue. Yes I get the impression other 'outfits' are a faff but wondering if they are the norm when if you take them out and about (shops, walks etc)

A little jacket of some sort for outdoors, I assume, no matter what the weather...?

TantrumsandBananas Fri 09-Nov-12 16:52:50

My DD was born Spetember, lived in vest and babygro for first three months.

Plus scratch mits and cardi if chilli.

Erm, seem to remember a couple of coats and lots of hats, and then a couple of all in one things that go over clothes with built in mits and feet. For when its cold. plus fleecy blankets.

I did have alot of outfits, but TBH having a newborn is enough hard work without thinking about outfits (or it was for me).

Come 3 months I was ready to embrace the world of baby outfits, but til then it was babygrow all the way. Oh and if you can, try and get the ones with built in scratch mits saves alot of fiddling about...

You will be fine!

amarylisnightandday Fri 09-Nov-12 16:53:00

Nappy vest and sleep suit until you get braver/bored and put them in outfits grin

emeraldgirl1 Fri 09-Nov-12 16:54:12

Thanks everyone. God I hope I am not the only one who doesn't just 'know' this kind of stuff. Am embarrassed to ask anyone in RL.

wanderingalbatross Fri 09-Nov-12 16:56:15

Something like this is a good start (although boring and white but has everything in one picture so you can see):

www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-My-First-Starter-Set---8-Pieces/LR0550,default,pd.html

Depending on the weather, baby can wear the sleep suit and a nappy, vest under sleepsuit if it's cold, and just vest if it's warm. If it's cold out, something like this might be useful for going outside but it'll be way too warm in spring:

www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-Humphrey%27s-Corner-Pramsuit/LW9654,default,pd.html

In reality, as it'll be almost spring, blankets and a little fleece/wool jacket will probably be fine for taking baby outside in.

People will buy lots of baby clothes and you can always send your DH to the nearest supermarket to stock up on the basics if you find you don't have enough.

PickledFanjoCat Fri 09-Nov-12 16:57:31

Nothing but little white sleeveless vests & baby gros for 6 months for me.

RightUpMyRue Fri 09-Nov-12 16:57:54

Be guided by the temperature and how cold/warm you're finding it. If it's baking hot then she won't need a jacket/cardi(and by the summer she may not even need a vest delending on how warm it gets) but it's very unlikely to be warm in March, it's still pretty cold then so she'll probably need a coat and blanket or a snowsuit/warmy all-in-one over her clothes when you're out in the early weeks.

Don't panic emerald, you'll be fine, she'll be fine smile

Longtalljosie Fri 09-Nov-12 16:59:04

After they're 3 months or so, there might be a call for day outfits (stretchy tops and leggings are best) but especially at first, babies are happiest in a vest with poppers, a sleep suit and a cardigan if necessary.

LeBFG Fri 09-Nov-12 17:11:14

I found the vests that undo right down the front, rather than just between the legs, far easier to use in the early days - no pulling pooey vests over the head. They just feed, poo and wee all the time, so quick, easy changing has to be the priority.

emeraldgirl1 Fri 09-Nov-12 17:17:39

Great tip thanks BFG.

Again, probably a dim question, but are daytime-wear sleepsuits any different in essence from night-time ones? Are they pretty interchangeable? I'm looking at websites and it looks as if there are plain/stripey ones that look more like pyjama-style and then what my mum would call 'fancier' ones with eg animal characters and stuff on. But are they really all just very much to wear whatever damn time you feel like?

PickledFanjoCat Fri 09-Nov-12 17:45:26

No difference really some are thicker & fancier than others..

I went fancy in day and plain at night.

White soft cotton ones would be nice for sleeping in

Rhubarb78 Fri 09-Nov-12 17:49:59

I am fussy so I would use fancy in the day and plain at night too. ds was born in march and he wore a little jacket to go out like http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-Unisex-Fluffy-Jacket---Stone/LW9520,default,pd.html#q=jacket
with a little hat and mits if it was colder and a blanket

2blessed Sat 10-Nov-12 06:51:17

I've bought a few bundlers (mothercare and john lewis, sorry on phone can't provide links) which will be really faff free for night time changes.otherwise I echo what everyone else has suggested.

Queenofsiburbia Sat 10-Nov-12 07:07:10

OP don't feel embarrassed to ask, I'm due in just 3 weeks & found this thread really useful grin

Advice I've been given... Avoid sleep suits etc with poppers on the back (yep, they do exist) as it makes changing really hard. Plus advice about having built-in feet as socks don't stay on.

I have a Q - in winter, what's to be worn when travelling in car etc? Snowsuit & blanket (& vest + sleep suit)?? I know hats not to be worn inside but what about car?
So confusing!!!

neontetra Sat 10-Nov-12 07:30:11

Before having dd I found this utterly bewildering and stocked up on the most bizarre selection of clothes - loads of utterly pointless pram shoes etc. I think the fact that sleepsuits are called sleepsuits is a bit mislealding - they wear them a lot in the day too when they are little, and also don't have to wear them to sleep - my dd slept in whatever she happened to be in when she nodded off when she was little, as I was so grateful she was asleep I wasn't going to wake her by changing her into a sleepsuit. When they get old it is nice I think to differentiate - little outfits in the day and sleepsuits at night, but really that's personal preference - they can sleep in anything soft and cosy.
My dd was born in April and I used sleepsuits and the occasional cardigan to start with - not vests underneath or cotton hats, although some of the hvs urged this. You don't anticipate this beforehand, but your instincts do tell you really well if they are too hot/cold etc. Outfit-wise have always stuck to leggings and long sleeved tops, then t-shirts and soft.cotton shorts as it got warmer. Have had to steer clear of little jeans etc, as dh has sensitive skin himself and worries they would chafe her - I disagree but don't want to worry him. Plus a couple of smart dresses for church, special occasions etc, which don't get worn much.
Size is worth considering when stocking up for newborns - some are ready for 0-3 almost immediately, some (even full term) need tiny baby size at first. So if possible buy a range, or not too much of anything till you meet baby. Good luck!

LeBFG Sat 10-Nov-12 09:27:14

I remember getting very confused about how much to bundle up the newborn. I think the advice above about same as you plus a light layer is great.

When my DS was a bit older and more active (moving arms, legs etc) I found he was often warmer than me and so needed to wear a little less, but that as soon as he was motionless (in pram, even in warm spring weather) he quickly became quite cold, so added on the layers/blankets etc.

My car is always cold in Spring so always had a blanket or two ready in the car to add or take off depending on how DS felt.

You hone a talent for recognising what your baby needs. It's very worrying at first, but you become an expert in your baby very quickly, honest, so don't worry too much about it now.

DeathMetalMum Sat 10-Nov-12 09:33:28

After about the first two weeks dd stopped wearing sleepsuits most of the day; it wasnt that much faff we had tonnes of outfits. I think I maybe saved a bit of washing as I could just change her top or bottoms sometimes.
Personally I would say socks are the most usless things for babies under 6 months. You spend half your day putting them back on I either had tights with dresses or under leggings, or trousers with feet in.
Long sleeve vests are pretty good under dresses if your using those.
Babygrows/Sleepsuits with built in scratch mits also great.

scarlettsmummy2 Sat 10-Nov-12 09:40:05

I going to buck the trend and say that I never took either daughter out in a sleep suit! Always had a little outfit on such as leggings and tops, dress and cardigan, romper suit etc. You will get bought these as presents so it's a shame not to wear them. Agree pram shoes are pointless though!

scottishmummy Sat 10-Nov-12 09:42:36

sleep suits,with vest underneath theyre practical easy on/off
outfits I suppose if want to look done up
coat or jumper on top sleep suit if outside and tuck up in pram

re are all sleep suits same. yes! different patterns or plain
tesco, m&s have nice sleepsuits
tights are a faff stick to sleep suit
do tights if wearing dress/skirt

oh and for love of god don't put those ghastly headbands on your baby.eugh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now