Talk

Advanced search

Please help- nausea

(24 Posts)
Littlemissimpatientlovesxmas Fri 09-Nov-12 10:05:17

After 3 mc I really am glad that this pg seems to be progressing as it should. Currently 8wks. However I have horrendous nausea, no sickness so far but I do keep running to the toilet just in case. I know I could be worse, but I really can't find anything that helps. I am hardly eating because I really can't stomach the look, the smells, the taste. I struggle to go into the kitchen at times. So what worked for you?

DawnOfTheDee Fri 09-Nov-12 10:07:14

I've heard ginger can be really good for nausea.

Personally when i felt a bit queasy something carby like a bagel or macdonalds cheeseburger sorted me out.

TunipTheHollowVegemalLantern Fri 09-Nov-12 10:07:23

rest and junk food (instant noodles, crisps).
ice cold water/coke.

cupcake78 Fri 09-Nov-12 10:13:14

Fresh air, early nights, lots of water, rest and eat whatever you can! Even if its just fruity sweets.

I'm 7wks and am living off toast and sweets. I feel rotten! Last pregnancy I couldn't walk into my kitchen without gagging and the only way I could eat is at someone else's house and everything had to come with fresh lemon juice.

Littlemissimpatientlovesxmas Fri 09-Nov-12 10:17:27

Wow thanks for the quick responses. The only thing that seems to help at min is lying down with eyes closed. I can't do that all day as work full time.
Tried sweets, makes it worse :-(
Last week crisps helped this week I can't even put one near my mouth! True cold juice is bearable not tried fizzy.

milktraylady Fri 09-Nov-12 10:29:16

I really feel for you.
Do try alll the things people suggest, but be warned they might not work. Like:
Eating ice
Ginger biscuits
Flat coke
Normal coke
Ginger beer
Crisps

I suggest go to your doc & start on the anti sickness medications. They do help.
Plus you must drink water. Try bottled water as it has no taste. Or else you will end up in hospital (like me).

Get someone to buy ketones testing sticks from boots, these tell you when you need more fluids.

Lying down still is the best thing.
If you are sick- remember to brush your teeth after. Mine are now wrecked after 10 weeks of vomiting!

Good luck!

upanddown83 Fri 09-Nov-12 10:39:29

When I was feeling nauseous (13 weeks now and it has passed) I found drinking yop the yogurt drink and milkshake helped me. They're not food but helped with energy also found dipping ginger biscuits and chocolates digestives into a cuppa first thing stayed down. I found fizzy drinks made me feel worse so really it is something that's different for each person hope it passes soon

princesschick Fri 09-Nov-12 10:47:38

Oh, I with you on this one. I've had 2 MCs and this is the only pregnancy I've held on to for so long. I feel awful for feeling so awful and being a but moany after wanting this baby for so long.

I've had a horrific week of actual being sick and had to take the day off work on Monday to go back to bed. Wednesday night I bought up the whole day's food as I was about to floss my teeth. Yesterday, I couldn't keep down a piece of toast.

I can't stomach ginger which everyone is trying to force feed me. I try not to have refined sugars in my diet, so biscuits are definitely out.

I'm finding tiny meals often has helped a little (a really small bowl of soup and half a piece of toast, a yoghurt and half a piece of marmite toast for breakfast, half a chicken breast and a small spoon of vegetable for dinner - fruit, crackers and peanut butter toast in between).

Everything is making me feel sick at the moment - the smell of coffee, rubber gloves, washing up liquid, usual moisturiser, the fridge, bread....it's hell! (I'm 9 + 5 BTW) My manageable staples that I seem to be able to keep down are rye crackers, seedless grapes, plain yoghurt, sips of cold water, sliced plums, luke warm peppermint tea... I also have sea sickness bands, which seem to work a little. I'm taking it really easy and resting if I need to. It sucks, but it will be worth it! thanks

TwinkleReturns Fri 09-Nov-12 12:04:38

right ...

Small meals and often - like a cow, graze constantly rather than eating at set times.

Dont worry about what you are eating - run through whats in your cupboards/fridge until you hit on something that you think you might be able to force down more easily than anything else. Doesnt matter if this is cake at 6am, roast beef for breakfast etc. If you find something you think you can manage eat it before you go off it again!

Dont expect to be able to keep eating the same stuff - what worked yesterday wont work today so do the cupboard thing every time you feel slightly hungry

Avoid supermarkets if poss - I had to run and throw up in a bin when attempting to do my weekly shop. Not good!

Dont worry if you arent getting enough ruit/veg etc just eat what you can when you can.

Dont eat late at night. Cut out very greasy foods and try and up your carb intake if poss - pasta and rice are better than tatties and bread

If you feel starving right after being sick thats totally fine too. You dont have to do that leave it a while thing after being sick that you do when ill. Its perfectly fine to throw up and tuck into a sandwich five mins later.

Stay v upright when eating aswell and try and get fresh air after eating. Sleep lots.
Just remember that it will pass and does get better.

I'm not being sick - but feeling nauseous a lot of the time - and I find it improves if I can have a good burp! So fizzy drinks are working for me - either just sparkling water, orangina, ginger beer and lilt!
Regular snacking and small meals seem to prevent it getting too bad - I'm nibbling on grapes, apricots and the odd biscuit/crisps.
I find if I've got too bad the best thing is to sleep it off and go for a snooze on the sofa. If at work I nip out for a 10-15min break rather than feel crap at my desk and not do anything constructive anyway. We have some sofa's I can go and sit on out of the way but if they weren't there I'd walk to my car to have a moment of peace.

FlaminNoraImPregnantPanda Fri 09-Nov-12 13:55:41

Carr's water biscuits and ginger tea helped me.

Littlemissimpatientlovesxmas Fri 09-Nov-12 16:16:19

Thanks everyone. It's interesting that what works for one won't work for everyone, and its true what I can stomach today is different to yesterday.

somewherebecomingrain Fri 09-Nov-12 16:26:30

yes seasickness bands worked for me
and take time off work if you need.
xx

emeraldgirl1 Fri 09-Nov-12 16:28:59

Have you tried travel sickness bands, OP? They really took the edge off the nausea for me, I don't know how I would have managed without them as I wasn't exactly great even WITH them! Like you I wasn't actually sick but just felt it pretty much all day every day until week 12 when (fingers crossed for you) it mysteriously vanished. I wore the bands every day and honestly started to feel worse if I took them off, OK maybe it was all psychosomatic but who cares when it's having an effect?

Second the suggestion of grazing, plus have you tried the old trick of eating something literally as soon as you wake up, before you even get out of bed (crackers by the bed)? That helped me a little. I mostly lived on toast and cereal for weeks, the mere thought of meat, fish or veg made me green. So as others have said, just eat what you can when you can.

Rest is a big thing too, I felt SO much worse when I was tired...

Good luck and congrats - lovely to hear things progressing well after bad luck smile

DannyBoy10 Fri 09-Nov-12 16:55:51

I would agree with a lot of what has already been posted. I also found little and often was better than big meals and the nausea was worse when I was hungry so try and eat even if you don't feel like it. I found cream crackers and ice lollies were good when i couldn't stomach anything else, otherwise lots of toast and other carbs, and soup.

Congratulations on your pregnancy, BTW!

Littlemissimpatientlovesxmas Sat 10-Nov-12 07:04:49

Got the travel sickness bands, I think they do take the edge off it or it's in my head but I do find they annoy me after a while, and they are quite difficult to disguise under clothes.
I've found cold sausage rolls are good weirdly

NeedToSleepZZZ Sat 10-Nov-12 07:12:54

Sleep! Sleep as much as you can, wherever you can. I laid on my bed for almost 2 weeks at around the 7/8 week mark. The nausea can be so debilitating. I also had the wristbands and they helped a little but other than that, the anti-emetics my doctor prescribed were the only things to enable me to get out of bed!

Rosiesharples Sat 10-Nov-12 07:54:30

I used the bands and also tried some of the homeopath remedies for anti sickness from Boots which helped me....even if it was just in my head! Like you I had nausea everyday for the first 12 weeks and then woke up one day and it had just gone! Hang in there it will get better! smile

AdmiralData Sat 10-Nov-12 17:11:43

Try cheeseburgers and every type of fizzy drink known to man. I was only able to eat one a day and it was literally the only thing that would stay down. Funnily enough I have only gained three pounds in 6 months :D Best of luck.

Msbluesky32 Sat 10-Nov-12 18:23:26

I'm 18 weeks and had nausea until very recently, I really feel for you. As many of the ladies have said on here the best thing you can do is not let you stomach go completely empty. I found the following things helped me, might be worth a try:
1) try and eat something as soon as you wake up. You could try something like oat cakes. They do them in handy two packs now - nice and dry with a bit of flavour.
2) make sure you have snacks on you at all times. I was snacking every 2 hours and kept main meals small.
3) lots of water
4) I found peppermints took the edge off my nausea in the afternoon. I found that I needed to get rid of the taste of any food almost immediately after eating it and mints really helped with this.
5) lemon and ginger tea helped, as did elderflower presse. I found that juices made me feel worse.
6) chances are you won't be sick, I never was in the end. You might be, but it doesn't matter. Eat what you can whenever you like
7) it will probably pass around 16 to 17 weeks. Mine went around 18. Hang on in there, your placenta will kick in soon and you will feel fine.

Hormonalhell Sat 10-Nov-12 18:29:08

I too felt sick but wasn't sick once although felt very close, it passed at 14 weeks. Am now 31 weeks and got it on and off now but its not as bad.

I cried one day at work as the Painters came in to work and I couldnt stand the smell of the paint. My supervisor sent me home.

Hated buses with smelly sweaty people or people who wore too much perfume, was hell.

I lived on super noodles, rice cakes and haribo fangtastic!!! smile

Vickles Sat 10-Nov-12 18:29:46

See an osteopath. He fixed mine in two sessions.
Best £80 everrrrrrrrrrr!

SoYo Sat 10-Nov-12 18:37:40

I got to the point of throwing up whenever I had a drink so took to lemon or orange flavoured ice lollies.....worked a treat for staying hydrated without that sloshy stomach feeling.

spinaltap Sun 11-Nov-12 17:35:27

I've tried acupuncture for mine, which hasn't been a miracle cure, but it's definitely taken the edge off.
Other than that, it's the same as everyone else - just keep eating little and often, whatever you can stomach!
God it's horrible isn't it envy <-- green pukey emoticon.
The only consolation I can take from it is that the sicker I feel the stronger the baby must be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now