Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When did you stop taking Folic Acid and Vitamin D?

(12 Posts)
NoTeaForMe Fri 09-Nov-12 08:02:47

Just that really! I remember in my last pregnancy I took Folic acid until around 14 weeks as thy finished off the pack! However, this time I bought quite a lot and got pregnant first month, so now have lots left! When is the time to stop? I read lots last time saying there is no need to take it after 12 weeks. Is that right?

Vitamin D wasn't mentioned last time. Although I'm not in any of the groups that should take it the midwife said there's no harm so I may as well! Problem is I totally forgot to ask when to stop! Is that an all through pregnancy thing? Just the first bit? Breastfeeding too?

Thanks

LittleBairn Fri 09-Nov-12 08:05:39

I'm 12 weeks now and stopped taking Folic acid, there doesn't seem to be any benefits past this point. Vitimin D should be taken throughout the pregnacy to aid your immune system.

pumpkinsweetie Fri 09-Nov-12 08:05:43

12 weeks smile

LeBFG Fri 09-Nov-12 08:49:37

Still taking it (22 weeks) and will to the end. I have those multivits for pregnancy which have, inevitably, folic acid in it. They have a bit of iron too which may help a little as we all go a bit low on iron especially later on.

Littlemissimpatientlovesxmas Fri 09-Nov-12 10:07:57

I will also continue with the mum to be vitamins. Dr said that folic acid would do no harm until full term so I'll continue.

cupcake78 Fri 09-Nov-12 10:09:33

Got pregnancy multi Vit and will keep taking it till the end!

Meglet Fri 09-Nov-12 10:12:24

I always took it.

It was in my normal vitamins before I got pregnant (so presumably some of it was floating around in my system when I conceived), then I took pregnancy vitamins until just after both births. Then back to normal multi vits + minerals.

ThreeWheelsGood Fri 09-Nov-12 10:18:53

You should take vitamin d throughout pregnancy and the whole time you're breastfeeding. Take a look at updated NHS guidance.

crunchingautumnleaves Fri 09-Nov-12 14:19:43

Not sure when you can stop taking folic acid but certainly fine to continue taking it throughout pregnancy.

rrreow Fri 09-Nov-12 15:06:46

I'm taking a Pregnancy Multivit (Superdrug one) and because it was on offer (2 packs for 1) I think it'll last me way into my 2nd or even 3rd trimester. As it's a multi vit I just plan on taking it until it runs out. Did the same with my last pregnancy. Can't hurt especially as I've noticed my resistance to bugs is way down.

ladymia Fri 09-Nov-12 15:24:10

I am still taking them at 22 weeks. I take Pregnacare Max for pregnancy & breastfeeding and will carry on taking them until a month after i have the baby.

Dogsmom Fri 09-Nov-12 15:54:16

I stopped at 12 weeks, I was on pregnacare but they're HUGE and with the nausea I struggled to swallow them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now