Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can't sleep, won't sleep....

(8 Posts)
Mummyof3tobe Fri 09-Nov-12 00:11:22

You know how newborns have their days and nights backwards to start with? I think at 36 weeks I am now heading in that direction myself. Would probably be quite handy in preparation for the new arrival...if I didn't have two other diurnal children to look after.

It's getting ridiculous. I went to bed at 8:30pm as so tired. Now midnight and I've given up and got up as can't get to sleep. Anyone else in the same boat? Any tips for what i can only assume is hormonal-induced insomnia????

shinyblackgrape Fri 09-Nov-12 00:31:41

Nope! Apart from to say that having an iPad is the best thing ever for middle of the night wakings!! I'm 37+5 and have had the worst insomnia since about 20 weeks. Shattered earlier and now can't sleep.

Arseface Fri 09-Nov-12 00:48:23

Glad it's not just me then! Am 23+2 with twins and ping awake at 11pm every night.
Shattered at work and with dcs/dh in the evening. Very annoying.

Kafri Fri 09-Nov-12 00:49:21

ME. Awake til silly o'clock every night then finally fall asleep at half 4 / 5 o'clock ish and dont wanna get up come morning.

lollipoppi Fri 09-Nov-12 09:16:05

I hate the insomnia!! I go to bed just fine and get to sleep no problems, but literally from 2am I'm wide awake!!
Now I'm a walking zombie whilst my DS is destroying the house!

FranTan Fri 09-Nov-12 17:59:16

Me too! Typically fall asleep easily at 11 ish and am wide awake from 2am - 6am. However, I do nap during the day which could be my downfall. Also, I have not once actually gotten up when I can't sleep, apparently preferring to toss and turn, working myself into a frenzy.

I've also got a fear about sleeping on my right hand side, which is my preferred side.

Mummyof3tobe Fri 09-Nov-12 18:57:34

Least I'm not alone then....

I am also wondering if daytime naps are part of the problem. I was soooo tired today and had the chance of an afternoon nap, but I didn't take it. I had a lie down, but just read and rested despite a strong urge to sleep. Let's hope it helps tonight...

Fran - what is your fear about sleeping on right side? It is also my preferred, but I alternate all night.

FranTan Fri 09-Nov-12 20:02:58

Mummyof3 - sleeping on your left has been found to prevent the baby putting pressure on the vena cava. Sleeping on your right or on your back can result in reduced oxygen flow to your, and in turn your baby's organs. Googling this will give you more information but it also brings up some scary findings (as usual!) so do so with caution.

Having said this, I sometimes find the only way I can sleep is on my right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now