Talk

Advanced search

Pre- eclampsia confusion

(13 Posts)
Natnat29 Thu 08-Nov-12 21:29:00

Hi all,
I'm 28+2 was sent to hosp last night as bloods pressure was high and both my sis and mum had pre-e.
At hosp they checked my water there was protein in it notes said +1 and had blood pressure check several times, mostly normal but 3 high the highest top number being 155 can't remember bottom number, my other symptoms were shortness of breath, headaches and just feeling awful, anyway doc asked me if I wanted to stay in which I said I'd rather go home if I could- and told me to come bk for more checks today. The doc told me that pre-e wasnt a question of if but when and that she would be surprised if I went back to wk this preg.
Went bk hosp today blood pressure checked once was 130/70 so low again they took more blood and samples and there was protein in water again but full results showed that the amount was ok, they told me to go bk to docs once a week for checks and that my shortness of breath and headaches may be the start of a viral infection.
The doc today said it wasn't pre-e but the warning signs of it- I'm confused am I ok or not?! Still feel like total shit and not convinced by the one reading today that said bp was ok don't know what to do or just wait till doc app next week

omletta Thu 08-Nov-12 21:32:05

When I had pre eclampsia I felt fantastic, full of energy and on top of the world.

Natnat29 Thu 08-Nov-12 21:36:21

I def don't feel like that omletta

almondfinger Thu 08-Nov-12 21:37:29

I would have thought if there is protein in your urine and you have had high BP and a family history of PE then the signs are there that you may develop it too.

Do you have access to a BP monitor to check your rate? the midwives will sometimes loan them to PE cases. I had my own. They also gave me dipsticks to check my protein at home.

See how you feel tomorrow and if you feel rotten go back again tomorrow and ask to be retested.

Do have have any swollen bits? Ankles, fingers?

PseudoBadger Thu 08-Nov-12 21:39:09

It's a collection of symptoms isn't it? I had the high BP, flashing lights, sight loss, major swelling - but never more than ++ in urine.

bringonthetrumpets Thu 08-Nov-12 21:41:58

My (US student midwife) advice is start eating protein like crazy. I mean like protein with every single meal, tons of eggs, beans, meat (if not a veggie), cheese, cottage cheese, greek yogurt. Stay extremely hydrated as well. Around 4 litres of water/fluids a day. Stay away from processed (ie ready meals) foods and try to make as much of your meals as you can.

If they checked blood work and said that things looked normal, then that's a good sign! You still have time to really turn things around through diet and to have a healthy rest of your pregnancy. High blood pressure and protein in the urine is one of the very late signs of pre-eclampsia so, fyi. Pre-eclampsia is attributed to an inadequately expanded blood volume-which should be at it's highest at 28 weeks. You still have time to do this! Let's hope this is just a viral infection.

Keep us posted!

TheNameisNOTZiggy Thu 08-Nov-12 21:42:17

When I had Pre-e I felt fab too but I had 3+++ of protein in my urine & high bp - I was full term. My mum on the other hand felt terrible & all 4 of us were preemie
Trust yr instincts & don't over do things. Keep monitoring baby movement & anŷ decrease day to day.
With pre- e it is usually a judgement call in the early stages. Keep going back for weekly check ups & if you feel worried get yourself to the ante natal ward at the hospital for a scan.
Pre-e is a sign the placenta is failing so a scan can reassure you all is well or help drs decide if you need to deliver early or be brought in for monitoring.
Good luck. If it is an infection I hope you recover soon & if it is Pre- e I am ure you will be in good hands with your med team.

omletta Thu 08-Nov-12 21:42:47

How often is the MW seeing you?

And have you any swelling?

My aunt had PC and like me felt great.

Natnat29 Thu 08-Nov-12 21:44:12

almond no swelling anywhere, did you feel ill when you had PE or just other symptoms.. Think i might go back to docs if I still feel like this

lotsofcheese Thu 08-Nov-12 21:46:48

I had severe, early PE about 28 weeks & no symptoms at all. That's not uncommon, apparently.

The things to watch out for are: headaches, visual disturbances, abdominal pain (particularly in the liver area) which can lead to vomiting, sudden swelling of fingers, ankles, face etc &reduced urine output.

If in doubt, do get checked out quickly. PE is life-threatening; it sets it's own course & there's nothing that can be done to slow down it's progression. The only treatment is delivery of the baby, and if that means a very early baby then you need steroid injections for the lungs.

Good luck. I hope things don't progress into PE for you.

Natnat29 Thu 08-Nov-12 21:56:30

Thanks all think I will just see how I go, doc told me to stay off work for a week so will do that and see how I feel after and got a check up booked in anyway. Thanks for the advice all

Natnat29 Thu 08-Nov-12 22:10:23

bringonthetrumpets I will try to eat more protein was thinking that only the other day as I am a veggie but will go for it now thanks

ArthurandGeorge Thu 08-Nov-12 22:10:47

I had pre-eclampsia an HELLP syndrome at 32weeks. In retrospect I wascill from at least 30 weeks, I had my BP checked a few times and it was never high (until the day I had dd) but I had persistent proteinuria. I also felt like shit bu didn't realise that this was pre-e rather than just pregnancy as it was my first time. On the day I had dd I was handing in. 24 hr urine collection which I had the midwife ge the results of in the assessment unit(12g) and then was admitted to the ante-natal ward. I then suddenly became very ill, horrendous abdo pain, headache, visual disturbance, vomiting and my face swelled up so much I was pretty much unrecognisable! All bloods went haywire too. I had dd within a few hours of getting to the pre-assessment.

So from my story I would really beware that things can take sudden change and if you get any warning signs you must go straight to hospital. Ask to do a 24 hour urne collection too.

Hope you stay well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now