Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What is the FIRST image that pops into your head when you hear the words "Maternity Leave"?

(31 Posts)
iamwhaticallpregnant Thu 08-Nov-12 16:53:06

Hi all,
I am working on an Art project and thinking about images associated with Maternity leave. So far - as I am pre-baby I associate Maternity Leave with
- tea cups
- pots of tea
- biscuits and cake
- bed
- tv and sofa
- birthing books

what image pops into your head?
and if you have any images related to Paternity Leave then that would be brilliant too thanks

StrawberriesTasteLikeLipsDo Thu 08-Nov-12 16:53:55

A baby... A bottle... The moon.

anastaisia Thu 08-Nov-12 16:56:13

Mums walking through a park together with babies in slings and prams. But then dd was an April baby - not sure will be doing that right away with a December baby.

iamwhaticallpregnant Thu 08-Nov-12 16:56:59

thanks strawberries - like the moon idea

WizardofOs Thu 08-Nov-12 16:58:01

meeting up with other pregnant mums from antenatal group for tea and cake

getting the baby's room and clothes ready

as for paternity leave - very tired looking dads in supermarket looking for stuff in the baby aisle.

SoupDragon Thu 08-Nov-12 16:59:10

Being fat, in pain and waddling!

sundaesundae Thu 08-Nov-12 16:59:48

Freshly washed baby clothes hanging on a line in preparation for birth. Heavily pregnant women painting a nursery.

FannyFifer Thu 08-Nov-12 17:00:17

Leaking boobs, tiredness.

StrawberriesTasteLikeLipsDo Thu 08-Nov-12 17:07:40

The very first thought that popped into my head, I must admit, was FREEDOM in like bulbs like on old signs? But that is because I hate my job!

TheDetective Thu 08-Nov-12 17:11:30

Grumpy hormonal women who are overdue and huge. Well, that is my maternity leave right now anyway!

Frustration?! Sorry, I'm not really being any use here!

Longtalljosie Thu 08-Nov-12 17:13:11

Crippling exhaustion, and a house which looks like a bomb has gone off in it. Sorry to shatter your image!

Paternity leave? A husband in the next room on his work mobile hmm

TwitchyTail Thu 08-Nov-12 17:16:33

Jeremy Kyle and Loose Women on repeat.

McPhee Thu 08-Nov-12 17:16:49

exhaustion, no money, filling in forms, trips to drs, puffy ankles, losing your hair/........yeah. Mine is a blast.

Read the first few responses and thought they sound like idealised views of maternity leave that I used to think of before finding mumsnet and getting pregnant. Now have had my views coloured a little more with other peoples experiences and am expecting it to be more like soupdragon and fannyfifers responses!

As with most Art its all down to you as the artist - you can do what people want to see, or you could go for the starkness of reality!!!

LauraPalmerPlusOne Thu 08-Nov-12 17:21:49

A big red neon sign that's flashing the wonderful words 'only 3 more work days!'

MrsDeVere Thu 08-Nov-12 17:23:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LauraPalmerPlusOne Thu 08-Nov-12 17:23:14

(And if neon could sparkle and shoot confetti as well as flash, this sign would!)

iamwhaticallpregnant Thu 08-Nov-12 17:32:14

ha ha ha! I love you all grin

TheDetective Thu 08-Nov-12 17:32:38

The inability to control farts?

Wait, that is just me, isn't it? Glad it didn't happen BEFORE maternity leave. That would have been embarrassing grin

badtasteflump Thu 08-Nov-12 17:36:10

A lazy year smile

dontcarehow Thu 08-Nov-12 17:37:40

call me cynical, but i've always associated maternity leave with anxiety over what my employer will think and whether it reflects badly on me. such a shame that it has to be like that though

FrightRunScream Thu 08-Nov-12 17:40:23

My baby DD!

CarolynKnappShappey Thu 08-Nov-12 17:42:42

Starbucks hot chocolate. And the scary rabbit-man from Donnie Darko (the first film I saw at a Watch With Baby screening).

xxDebstarxx Thu 08-Nov-12 17:43:32

a big pregnancy bump

OrangeKat Thu 08-Nov-12 17:45:30

Sore fanjo. Leaky boobs. Costa coffee. Being awake EVERY HOUR all night long.
Watching really odd crap on the telly at four in the morning.
Mumsnet.
Beautiful baby dd, lots of cuddles. THe special baby smell smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now