Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

dentist at 33 weeks - extractions and fillings?

(4 Posts)
3rdbump Thu 08-Nov-12 11:56:13

Am 33 weeks pregnant and need a tooth extraction - should have been done months ago but been putting it off (my own fault i know) thing is its flared up so the surrounding gum area is very tender and sore - its making it difficult for me to eat.
Called the dentist and made an appointment this afternoon - realistically what can they do about it? antibiotics?? extraction?? also have a filling that needs doing which gives me bother.
Any advice or experience.

DoIgetastickerforthat Thu 08-Nov-12 12:08:27

I'm 30 weeks pg and had an extraction a couple of weeks ago. It was sore and unpleasant but not horrendous. The biggest problem I had was throwing up every time he tried to make an impression for a denture to fill the gap, as I have a sensitive gag reflex at the best of times but it's on a hair trigger during pg (embarrassing!).

I didn't have antibiotics despite a small infection but it cleared up on it's own. You could ask to stagger the treatment if you don't feel upto sitting in the chair for hours.

NarcolepsyQueen Thu 08-Nov-12 13:41:52

I am 32 weeks and went this week as I need 2 root canals doing. They won't do them when I am pregnant. They give amoxycilin and put temp fillings in. Good luck!

mignonette Thu 08-Nov-12 13:44:31

I thought dentures couldn't be fitted until 4-6 mths post extraction because the gums and underlying bone undergoes so much change that even temporary dentures will not fit properly?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now