Advanced search

What are the best products for you and your baby? From travel systems to sterilisers, you can find out all you need to know from our Mumsnet Best reviews

Find out more

Just back in UK 37+3 how do I sort out midwife/ hospital out such short notice?

(14 Posts)
Graciescotland Tue 06-Nov-12 23:29:25

I've literally just landed in the UK, yes it's a bit late to fly but no-one asked and I'm very happy to be home.

I've been abroad for a couple of years but am ordinarily resident in UK for tax so can use NHS etc. but don't have a GP anymore. I'm in process of buying a house which is scheduled to complete in January but I'm trying to bring that forward but in the meantime will be staying at relatives house.

Checked out local GP at relatives which said I need utility bill to register which I don't have and will only be in the area for a maximum of ten weeks. Can't register as a visitor as need to have GP in UK. New house is 60 miles away and under a different LA so wouldn't be practical to register there now. I'll be in Tayside and I know community midwifes are attatched to surgeries there and I can't see a way to self refer. Do I call the local MLU and have a chat. I don't imagine they'd be too impressed if I turn up in the throes of labour without there being any record of me.

Any advice?

Scroobius Tue 06-Nov-12 23:45:36

I've moved around loads if times and have never been asked for proof of address at the doctors. That just seems weird! Midwives here don't run through GPs so if its the same for you contact your local hospital's maternity unit they should be able to help you.

Scroobius Tue 06-Nov-12 23:47:18

Sorry just spotted your midwives do run through surgeries. Same principal still stands though, ring the maternity unit. Also try the doctors again, surely it can't be right that I've lived all over the country and never had to give proof of address to doctors but you do?

weegiemum Tue 06-Nov-12 23:51:14

I'd call PRI (do they still hVe a birthing unit there - in was born there!) or Ninewells in Dundee and ask. Someone in the hospital would be able to give you the details?

Swanlike Tue 06-Nov-12 23:53:34

I just moved house within the UK and changed doctors and had to produce my passport and the lease on our house to prove identity and residency in the area. I thought it was a little over the top too.

whatchagonna Tue 06-Nov-12 23:54:10

Can't you register as a visitor with the GP as your relatives to access maternity services and then change GP once the baby arrives?

FeersumEndjinn Wed 07-Nov-12 00:11:36

I would think the local MLU will probaby be practically minded enough that they will sort you out one way or another - they will need proof that you are entitled to NHS care though. It's very easy to switch GPs so if you have to register with one where you currently are and then change when you move it's no bother.

Have you had untrasound scans etc?

Sam100 Wed 07-Nov-12 00:16:24

The gp should register you as a visitor - this is possible even for overseas visitors. You may need to speak to the practice manager rather than a receptionist though as it is probably a more unusual scenario than they are used to. See overseas visitors on the NHS website - sorry no good at links on mobile!

Given that you have only been abroad for a couple of years you should fall into the exemptions available. Speak to the head midwife at the unit you would plan to give birth at.

steppemum Wed 07-Nov-12 00:17:43

Go back to gp, ask to see manager not receptionist, explain your situation and ask her/him what you should do. If you are at relatives do you have anything with the address on? This could be any official letter at all? Many people do not have paper utility bills these days (we don't do it all online) so they should accept anything to register. What about tax letters?

Ask the manager if she/he can refer your case back to the primary health trust, ask how do you get an emergency registration, ask how you get pre-natal care and book in to hospital.

Were you registered with a gp before you left? Did you every de-register from them? Unless you actually de-registered you will still be on their books and can use them as you base doctor. Actually you could use them anyway as you probably are still on their computer system.

If you can't get registered, you can just turn up at hospital when you go into labour. They won't turn you away!

Graciescotland Wed 07-Nov-12 08:04:55

Thanks everyone for responding. I only called the GP's before but will physically go in today and if they fob me off ask to speak to practice manager. Failing that I'll call local MLU, it may be easier if I call them anyway just to get things kickstarted. I don't have anything in my name with my relatives address, I haven't even made it that far, we crashed at the airport hotel upon arrival so I'll be travelling up today. I suppose I could update banking details and print something off.

I have had scans/ tests/ been measured for growth/ regular blood pressure checks etc. but I've cleverly managed to live in the Netherlands/ Australia and Canada for about three months each during this pregnancy so I don't have proper notes just separate results for the different stages. Can't wait to move into the forever house and never travel again! It's been a fairly easy pregnancy so far, I am measuring slightly big for my dates though (recent ultrasound) but DS was 8 9.5lbs and a week early and the Canadians say average birth weight 6-8 lbs so assumption is I'm having a bigger baby not gestational diabetes.

I did deregister from GP as was told that I couldn't just say DS was abroad indefinitely and failing to respond to vaccination notices/ not attending check up appointments from HV's (which get generated automatically) would get flagged up as a potential problem/ for investigation with social services. Oddly enough DH didn't have to deregister (although he should of done) as everything is linked with the mother hmm

steppemum Wed 07-Nov-12 16:06:03

gracie, I did all my pregnancies overseas and with a friend acting as midwife, and paid for scans, with no results in writing. I turned up in UK at 35-37 weeks and my gp just swung into action. They were so helpful and in one of my pregnancies I arrived and got whisked off to hospital early.

The staff weren't remotely botheres by lack of notes etc, thye just took it in their stride

good luck

ginmakesitallok Wed 07-Nov-12 16:39:21

if you are in tayside you can definitely go direct to midwife-give mlu at ninewells a call, they should be able to help. If you are still stuck after that drop me a pm and I'll see if I can get you a direct number

Spiritedwolf Thu 08-Nov-12 12:13:33

A vote for Montrose Maternity Unit if you're in the area and fancy a water birth. :-) But due to medical issues I gave birth in Ninewells and it was fine.

No idea about the paperwork side of things, but I'm certain you'll be well looked after once you see an actual midwife. xx

Birth in Angus Website Has direct contact details for the various units in Angus. Don't know so much about the Dundee or Perth areas but look them up and you'll be fine.

Graciescotland Thu 08-Nov-12 17:53:22

Managed to make an appointment today soam now all booked into ninewells. I will get weekly appointments since I'm so late to care though. Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now