Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Any advance preparation required for a waterbirth?

(7 Posts)
Mummyof3tobe Tue 06-Nov-12 19:00:30

My midwife suggested to me today that I consider a waterbirth for this baby (#3) as it will be good for my SPD. I like the idea though realise that it may not be possible depending on what actually happens in labour. I'm just wondering if I need to think about, prepare or "do" anything in advance?

Can I simply turn up at hospital and request it (assuming all is going ok and there is a tub available)?

mummylovescake Tue 06-Nov-12 20:10:31

I had no intention of using the birth pool, but when the time came, I actually loved it! So definitely give it a go if yoou can - only advice I'd give, is have a think about whether you want to 'cover up' - I hadn't planned for it, so wound up wearing a nursing vest (http://www.bras4mums.co.uk/seren-nursing-vest-top-1055-p.asp :P) while I was bobbing around as wasn't comforatble being completely nekkid! Each to their own of course, but it's worth thinking about! Good luck smile

Mummyof3tobe Tue 06-Nov-12 20:58:30

Good thinking. I'll add something to my bag that I could wear in the pool. Also don't think I want to be totally naked.

I don't suppose I'll care whose looking up my vagina, but ironically don't fancy having my baps out the while time!

enjay0811 Tue 06-Nov-12 23:26:04

I had a waterbirth with dd1 and took a tankini top in with me but sooo didn't care bout getting my boobs out when it came down to it, it was just a lovely relief to be in the water as dd was back to back and painful! Planned on a waterbirth with dd2 but someone beat me to it so I cried in my hormonal state but turned out to be a much better and easier birth all round! I'd take something to cover up but just see how it goes smile

enjay0811 Tue 06-Nov-12 23:30:40

Oh the other things to bare in mind are that you may have to get out if you want the injection to deliver the placenta as don't think they'll do this in the water. The water may also slow things down. And its usually bloody hot in the room so get dp on hand with a fan/ cool flannel etc

HorridHeffalumpsWickedWoozles Tue 06-Nov-12 23:40:09

Take something to cover up but don't be surprised if you don't need/want it. I remember getting in, being asked by the midwife if I wanted to change my top for a bikini and just stripping off every stitch I had on and flinging it vaguely towards the corner before sinking into the total bliss of the warm pain relieving water.

I had the injection for delivering my placenta whilst in the water too, had to raise myself up a bit so they could administer it but was allowed to stay in the pool until it was all delivered.

I hope you are able to get your water birth, I didn't for DD1 (induced) but did for DD2 and it was amazing smile

Mummyof3tobe Wed 07-Nov-12 16:11:57

Getting excited for a water birth now....

I considered it for baby #1 but ended up with an epidural instead, the baby #2 came so fast they didn't have time to do much but catch him! So I need to time my arrival at hospital better for this one.

Loving the sound of "warm pain relieving water". Can I get in now and just wait there until baby comes?? So many niggling aches and pains that I could try and ease out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now