Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy following hip replacements

(4 Posts)
Nesswalk Tue 06-Nov-12 18:51:39

Hi folks
I've had both my hips replaced this year, wandering if anyone has also had their hips replaced and fallen pregnant. Hubby and I are very excited about starting a family, and wandering how soon after the operations others have become pregnant. Docs not really giving any advice re time scales etc

feesh Tue 06-Nov-12 19:41:23

I've had a single hip replacement and am 33 weeks carrying twins! We waited 4 years, but not through lack of trying!

The funny thing is, my replaced hip is coping PERFECTLY - it's only my good hip which is struggling! Physio said that was to be expected, as I ask a lot of my good hip already, so it's taking most of the strain. Also bad hip, being artificial, has no ligaments or anything else which can hurt.

I would go for a vaginal delivery if I were in England, but I now live in the Middle East and they are very conservative about keeping you laying on your back during labour, so I am having a c-section instead.

Good luck, you'll be fine smile

Nesswalk Tue 06-Nov-12 20:53:21

Ah congratulations. I had my left hip done in January and the right done in may. We're hoping to start trying early next year but was starting to get concerned we were maybe rushing it, but physically I haven't felt this good in years.

All the best for when the time comes

feesh Wed 07-Nov-12 04:11:57

The only consideration really is the release of metal ions from the hip - it depends which type of replacement you got and how stable it is, but all the research is fairly inconclusive anyway. Personally I wanted to wait a couple of years after, but it's a very personal decision as the research hasn't really been done regarding the foetal effects.

Good luck! New hips ROCK!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now