Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Placenta Previa 2nd baby - help

(10 Posts)
Emsyboo Tue 06-Nov-12 16:23:59

Hi
I have a 21 month old boy and am 21 weeks pregnant with number 2 a girl we think, everything good with the 20 week scan except I have a low lying placenta completely covering cervix.

Have had to cancel holiday as not allowed to fly and no sex and have another scan booked in at 28 weeks hoping it will move.

I am staying positive I won't need a c section and had no bleeding but docs said just because I haven't had bleeding doesn't mean I am at any less risk I could have a bleed. First pregnancy no Placenta Previa but was induced at 39 weeks for heavy bleeds then bled after delivery.

Just wondering if anyone had any experience or advice - worried as I can't take it easy with a toddler (big heavy 15kg boy).

Thanks in advance

ilovecolinfirth Wed 07-Nov-12 06:29:32

I was diagnosed with a low lying placenta at 20 weeks, and told to come back for scans at 32 and 36 weeks. However, due to a bleed at 26 weeks I found out it was completely covering the os too. In total I went Into hospital 3 times with bleeding. Things have improved though. At 32 weeks the placenta was 7mm clear of the os, and at 36 weeks, 15mm clear of the os. The consultant is now happy for us to go for a normal delivery. I've got a 3 year old son, who understands I can't pick him up, we made it clear to him that he needs to climb stairs, and climb into his car seat. Take it easy as each time I've started to bleed it has been caused by walking too far or carrying heavy bags. Good luck.x

Emsyboo Wed 07-Nov-12 09:05:31

Thanks for your post sorry you have had it tough but great news you can have a normal delivery need to get DH to realise I need a bit more help. Glad to hear that it is moved most people have told me not to get my hopes up but want to stay positive. Just been told by a midwife to avoid swimming which I thought would be safe.
Good luck with your baby can't be long now smile and thanks again x x

NAR4 Wed 07-Nov-12 09:33:11

I was told at my 20 week scan that my cervix is covering my placenta and I have to go back at 32 weeks for another scan to check if it has moved. No information given other than that, so I made another midwife appointment and she just said it was nothing to worry about, but to go to hospital if I start bleeding (as if you wouldn't do that anyway when pregnant). I quiried about taking things easy and avoiding sex because of things I had read on here and she said it was fine to carry on as normal. My husband and I have decided to eire on the side of caution though anyway.

I hope your placenta moves, I know I have my fingers crossed mine will. My research on the internet says that 90% of them move enough for a vaginal delivery. Some mums on here have been booked in for CS but got the consultant to agree to an extra scan first, which has shown the placenta has now moved. So my understanding is that it can keep moving right up to delivery.

Emsyboo Wed 07-Nov-12 12:30:14

Yes fingers crossed will move do you know if its completely covering the cervix?

I had scarring from first baby (infections then surgery after delivery) and this has caused the placenta to be on the left, not anterior or posterior and then low down covering cervix completely.

I saw consultant straight after scan when they found it who advised to take it easy and no sex, he also refused to sign a letter to say I was fit to fly so had to cancel holiday.

From my understanding because it isn't at the front it will take longer the move as that part of your uterus doesn't grow till the end of the pregnancy and also the front and back are stronger muscles so the placenta is attached quite delicately where it is. Touch wood not had any bleeding so hoping for the best and a natural delivery have a scan at 28 weeks and 32 weeks already booked in.

Good luck with your pregnancy hope is moves and all goes well and thanks for your post x x

NAR4 Wed 07-Nov-12 17:55:21

Mine is completely covering my cervix and growing up the front wall. I asked after the scan if I needed to see my midwife and the soniographer just said no. Maybe it is simply due to the fact it is on the front wall as well (unlike yours) that it isn't such a concern.

Hopefully we will both get the vaginal delivery we want though.

Haven't had any bleeding at all and I'm 25 weeks now. I have my fingers crossed for you too that there is no bleeding during your pregnancy.

chocorocco Wed 07-Nov-12 21:02:43

At my 20 week scan they told me i had complete previa, Dr's and midwife's scared me saying i would need a section, no sex, rest, leave work asap (i have a very active job), no lifting and i would be admitted to hospital at 34 weeks whether i was bleeding or not! They said the were certain it wouldn't budge.

I spent the nxt 8 weeks searching the net, panicking and making arrangements for DD incase i had to be admitted.

However at my 28 week scan it HAD moved and was way up the top nowhere near my cervix.

Try not to worry to much yet follow dr's orders but don't panic until you are certain, baby is still small so much can change and it can go up.

Good luck, hope it moves for you.

Emsyboo Thu 08-Nov-12 18:31:29

Thanks for your posts good to hear actual experiences.
Fingers crossed NAR4 for both of us I like to be aware of the risks but hope for the best!
Hopefully both of our placentas will move quickly like Chocorocco smile

Crushinginevitability Thu 08-Nov-12 19:44:59

Mine was low with Dc1, 2.3mm from os, cut off for labour was 2.5. Big placenta too. Had a CS, it was WONDERFUL and when the obs removed the placenta he said there was no way I could have laboured as the baby's head would never have got past it without a big bleed. So in the olden days at least one of us would be dead. I went on to have 2 more children.

Emsyboo Thu 15-Nov-12 13:18:11

Thanks @crushinginevitability missed this last week. Glad it went well and no problems for more children. Had a bleed on Tues and spent the night in hospital but OK atm taking it easy fingers crossed it moves but a few people have raved about elective c sections. At least we are aware of the risks and not just going into it blind. x x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now