Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Why do midwives say things to pregnant women like "OMG, your baby is going to be HUGE!!!"?

(12 Posts)

Today, at 38+5, I have a hospital appointment... Based on previous experiences at this stage (it's my sixth baby) I would put money on someone putting the fear of God through me about my unborn being MASSIVE, and just wonder why oh why do they do that? I'm terrified already about pushing something the size of a watermelon through a hole the size of a pea, does someone really need to ramp up the fear????

GummiberryJuice Tue 06-Nov-12 10:19:23

yeap always amazes me and most times they are wrong too, not helpful at all!

Loobylou222 Tue 06-Nov-12 10:20:34

My mw kept saying I was measuring 2 weeks ahead and said I was going to have a 'fair sized baby, maybe 8 or 9 lb' scared to crap out of me ( was my 1st) she was actually only 7.7 and had a section. My mw was a bloke so he obviously never experienced it anyway!

iamwhaticallpregnant Tue 06-Nov-12 10:22:18

I hope my midwife says "oh my Lord, what a tiny slim baby you will have, and what wide fantastic baby shooting out hips you have, and aren't you airy down there, you'll hardly need any assistance dear!"
Alas - I think she will not say this.

LittleBairn Tue 06-Nov-12 10:23:12

Yip I think they enjoy it, my midwife tried to book me in for a sizing scan at 36 weeks at 11 weeks based solely on my BMI (higher than ideal but not dangerously high) because I probably would have a large baby. I made it clear I would not be having it unless nearer the time there was concern.

iamwhaticallpregnant Tue 06-Nov-12 10:23:39

OP - Your 6th baby - and you are still terrified?!?
This does not bode well for me..... confused

CoteDAzur Tue 06-Nov-12 10:34:22

And I'm shock at her fanjo still being "the size of a pea" after five babies.

mmmnoodlesoup Tue 06-Nov-12 10:58:23

The sonographer said at my 32 week growth scan my baby has a 'larger than average head' cheers for that!

iamwhaticallpregnant, I'm clearly not terrified enough to miss out on completing my family with Baby Six!! But it still hurts and there are risks and all that which do come rushing to mind especially when the midwife looks scared.

CoteDAzur...um, ta for discussing my fascinating "fanjo"! Isn't that the chatroom equivalent of a stranger stroking your bump?!?!?! cdnmn.com/emo/te/4.gif

FreddieMercurysBolero Tue 06-Nov-12 15:30:09

I am hoping I have a nice airy fanjo now with DC 2 on the way, because DS did have a massive head. Still does actually!

The consultant did the sucky teeth thing TWICE last week, first when I lifted my dress to reveal a giant bump and then when he was checking if baby was engaged. Helpful.

My GP just tactfully said 'Well that's a nice ... Long baby'. Slightly more helpful...

If there are any midwives reading, smiling reassuringly is the best thing to dosmile

itsallinmyhead Wed 07-Nov-12 14:07:45

Diamonds I am so glad you started this thread.

I've just this minute come home from my latest appointment with the midwife who really p*ssed me off last time by saying

1) I looked like I was about to pop

2) I was massive and the 2nd largest bump she'd had in that day (I was around 32 weeks) the other lady (who was slightly bigger than me) was overdue (nice)

I am now 36 weeks and was told at this appointment that my DS currently weighs 7lb 12oz and is heading toward being a 9lb PLUS baby.

I know I should be happy and proud that I'm growing a big, healthy boy but quite honestly, I don't. I think it's the whole 'massive' comments getting the best of me. I secretly wanted a healthy 7lb - 8lb baby and to be able to say to all those people who have consistently made me feel like s*it all the way through about the size of my bump and how big my baby was going to be that they were wrong and to keep their opinions to themselves in future.

I'm sorry for ranting but just really want to know, from more experienced MN's if the MW's are usually right in their guess-timations?

Hi itsallinmyhead

In my experience, they are just guessing and the only way to tell the size of the baby is to have a proper scan. Yes, you can look big, without necessarily having a huge baby, and you may well have a large, healthy baby, but not look that huge.

But the important bit, and the bit they CAN'T tell you, is whether the size of your baby is going to make it more or less difficult to deliver, and most Mummies just panic when they hear that the baby is big. So try not to panic, even if you know the actual size of the baby via the scan, you won't really know how it will effect your labour until you get there. I have a lot of faith in mother nature and the fact that she usually gives babies to a correctly proportioned mother, and if she doesn't quite manage it, you will have medical support there to assist.

My babies have all been between 9lb and 10lb, but I'm 5'10" and my husband is 6'3" so even though they are HUUUUUUGE as everyone likes to tell me, they manage to get out with minimal intervention.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now