Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy induced lactose intolerance?

(14 Posts)
PipIsOutNow Tue 06-Nov-12 09:58:30

Is there even such a thing? I'm 28 weeks and for the past week or so have had diarrhoea every day. I've been eating more cereal recently so was wondering if it's the milk intake or something maybe affecting my body? This may sound completely ridiculous but I really can't think what else it could be?!!!

PipIsOutNow Tue 06-Nov-12 11:20:47

Anyone?

Not as far along as you - but I can't stand the thought of milk since becoming pg. I'm avoiding milk based products as they just seem to turn my stomach. I'm a big believer in listening to your own body signals - so I read it as my body telling me to stay away from milk. (Hopefully getting enough calcium from vegetables and my pregnancy vitamins!)

monkeynumberthree Tue 06-Nov-12 12:24:18

I've been experiencing this too - I never usually have very much milk (just a drop in my coffee but that's all) but this pregnancy I've been craving it. I think that generally your body knows what it needs so if you crave meat, maybe you need the iron/protein, if you can't stop eating fruit maybe you are short of vit C etc, so I tend to just follow my cravings (within reason!!)

I'm 37wks now and up to about a week ago I was drinking at least a pint of milk every day, with 2 or 3 yogurts as well. I've had a very upset tummy (diarrhoea 7 or 8 times a day! Sorry if TMI!) for the last week and I've been really trying to limit my dairy intake for the last few days - it does seem to help as I've been a bit better until I gave in to a craving last night and had a huge bowl of very milky cereal... And then was up several times in the night sad

I told my midwife and she said that because apart from the diarrhoea I'm feeling fine (no temp, no sickness)and as stopping dairy was helping then it was likely to be pg induced IBS or lactose intolerance but if it carried on for another 48hrs I should do a stool sample to rule out infection. DH and DDs have been fine though so I don't think its a bug. Might be worth you talking to your midwife?

monkeynumberthree Tue 06-Nov-12 12:29:09

Also, the main thing is that it's really important to replace lost fluids so make sure you drink plenty of clear fluids! Even if you are fed up with weeing every ten minutes anyway...

panicnotanymore Tue 06-Nov-12 12:46:17

I had no idea such a thing existed. It's interesting though as I really can't stomach cows milk, and pre-pregnancy I drank loads. I've had to switch to soya milk. Yoghurt is ok though, it's just milk.

Vix07 Tue 06-Nov-12 12:50:39

Me too, just seem much more sensitive to everything like that - dairy, wheat, garlic!

Not entirely a new thing but definitely an awful lot worse at the moment. Upset tum & also claggy throat, runny nose etc. Really annoying!

Seem to be ok with yoghurt tho

PipIsOutNow Tue 06-Nov-12 12:58:46

Wow this is really interesting. I think I will try cutting it out tomorrow and see if it makes a difference. I've been craving cornflakes and angel delight so I will be gutted if its this causing it!!!

Sam419 Tue 06-Nov-12 19:40:46

Hi this does exist!!
I could not stomach anything with cows milk in it...even down to products that had been made using the milk protein!
It last till i was nearly 6 months and i went completely dairy free.
Mine was slightly different tho as it made me violently sick.
It absolutely sucked BUT i am 36 weeks gone now and feeling better than ever so for me it did get better! Good luck, i hope yours fazes out lile mine did!

Sam x

Sunflowergirl2011 Tue 06-Nov-12 19:47:01

I had this too. I love milk and cereal but while pg the thought of milk made me gag.

Sunflowergirl2011 Tue 06-Nov-12 19:48:17

There is a milk called lacto of similar, looks and tastes just like the real thing but didn't make me sick. Worth a try smile

willitbe Tue 06-Nov-12 21:20:00

I had the reverse of this. With my three successful pregnancies, each time I started to be able to take milk. I went from being intolerant of cow's milk protein, which would always make me sick, so was dairy-free from infancy to being able to consume milk products all through pregnancy until about 4 months post-partum.

With my first pregnancy I actually craved chocolate milk, this was how I realised I could suddenly tolerate milk. Normally drinking milk would have me vomitting it back up within minutes. I craved chocolate milk so much and was already having nausea with morning sickness, so I thought I would just try it, to see if by actually being sick would help relieve the morning sickness temporarily. Instead the milk actually helped the morning sickness settle..... so chocolate milk became a craving I could really enjoy!

With my following pregnancies, it has acted as a kind-of pregancy test, I take a fancy to chocolate milk and I buy some to drink, if I am sick then I am not pregnant, if I am fine, then I am pregnant!.

CityDweller Wed 07-Nov-12 03:16:48

I've become lactose intolerant since getting preggers. I didn't eat masses of dairy before, but if I do now it bloats me like a balloon and messes up my digestion for at least a day. Cheese and cream/ ice cream are the worst. I can manage a splash of milk in coffee, but that's it really. Butter is fine.

Goat and sheep milk products are fine for me, but if you don't like goat milk and still want cereal, try almond milk instead (it's actually quite tasty!)

StormyBrid Wed 07-Nov-12 12:29:11

Yes, there is such a thing. My sister found she couldn't cope with milk in her second pregnancy, though she'd been fine with it in her first. It didn't entirely go away after giving birth either - sometimes she's fine with cow's milk for a few months, then it starts making her guts play up for a few months. She doesn't mind taking soya milk in her tea these days, but says not being able to eat cheese is dreadful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now