Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Friendly harmless massage or dangerous ham-fisted amateur?

(9 Posts)
Mixxy Tue 06-Nov-12 01:31:20

My friend who is a professional dancer is sort of famous for her awesome massages. Whenever she comes over to our place now she gives me an awesome back and shoulder massage. I love it!
DH pulled me aside after my friend left tonight and pointed out that my well-meaning but unqualified friend is just as likely to trigger early labor as some dodgy massage parlor. Is DH out of his mind again or is he right? Where does one draw the line between friendly and dangerous?

bringonthetrumpets Tue 06-Nov-12 01:42:15

Unless you are 39 weeks and about to go into labor at any moment, it's pretty unlikely that a massage will put you into labor....especially from the back and shoulders! The feet on the other hand are very sensitive and massaging them can trigger a lot of acupressure points that stimulate labor.

Mixxy Tue 06-Nov-12 01:43:53

So he's nuts? I KNEW it. Thanks bringonthetrumpets

NatashaBee Tue 06-Nov-12 01:59:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mixxy Tue 06-Nov-12 02:12:36

She doesn't use any oils at all. At the end she puts a facecloth she has steamed warm on my neck. If the feet should not be massaged at all, perhaps I should 86 my weekly pedicure. It is the most relaxing thing ever to me but I don't want to risk anything over something as silly as relaxing.

bringonthetrumpets Tue 06-Nov-12 02:34:12

mixxy your pedicures (especially if you've been getting them for a long time) will be totally fine to keep getting! Enjoy this time and pamper yourself!

Kelerina Tue 06-Nov-12 07:30:40

Weekly pedicures?? envy

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Tue 06-Nov-12 07:35:12

I live in HK, famous for it's foot massages. Any masseur here will tell you that foot massages wont trigger labour unless your body is "receptive" anyway (i.e. it doesn't work). Don't worry about it.

There is no evidence that massage in labour it bad. A lot of places just ban it in the first 12 wks as that's the most common time for mc, and they dont want to get sued/ people going round saying that they caused them to miscarry.

Mixxy Tue 06-Nov-12 16:11:51

Kelerina Ha! Yeah weekly. I live in NY so they are super cheap and on every street corner. When my sister comes to visit the first thing she does is get a mani-pedi.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now