Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

moving house at 27 weeks dos and donts

(13 Posts)
spandau1980 Mon 05-Nov-12 21:58:00

Basically that really anyone with any advice.. been there done that all was ok advice ;)
Also have Spd and three kids too.. its gonna be...er interesting?!

noblegiraffe Mon 05-Nov-12 22:01:48

Do hire removal men, don't carry anything heavy yourself. I was ok cleaning after the removals men had gone at 7.5 months but I didn't have SPD or 3 kids. I made my DH do the majority of the packing!

datingthedevil Tue 06-Nov-12 00:03:44

My advice is not to do a thing. Even if a box looks light don't touch it.

I have spd and moved at 18 weeks and at 24 weeks and regret doing even the lightest things. After the last move I was in so much pain I couldn't move my feet to put on the car pedals. Leave everything to your dh and removal men. Your health and baby are far more important. It's frustrating just sitting back and watching but trust me, it's far better than being in pain.

Hope it all goes well xxx

Yacka Tue 06-Nov-12 06:20:55

Get your bossy head on smile I moved at 34 weeks with spd and it was the easiest move I've ever done lol.

After at first freaking out that nothing would be where I wanted it I set about making lists and labels so everything could be put in the correct rooms. And even correct cupboards and draws. All my husband and family had to do was follow my instructions

it worked out better as I was so organized to the last detail. And as no one dared upset a moody hormonal preggo I got to enjoy relaxing and bossing people about. ;)

Tips are pack a small box with kettle cup spoon and tea and milk and make sure this and a chair get there first. Good luck and hope all goes well.

2blessed Tue 06-Nov-12 11:39:02

I moved at 26 weeks. I agree with yacka get bossy! Be organised, label boxes and rooms. Have plenty of rest breaks. It was the most stressful time of my pregnancy (so far). I went to the maternity unit the following day as I couldn't feel LO's movements. All fine but I did do too much in the days leading up to the move. Pack a bag with all of your kitchen/toiletries/clothing essentials for a few days as the unpacking can be just as stressful. Take your time with the unpacking. Have a take away the first night if you can.
Good luck!

EdsRedeemingQualities Tue 06-Nov-12 11:43:31

Label everything as much as you can and have boxes for stuff you'll use straight away, and boxes that can be left unpacked for a few years months weeks.

Do not lift anything remotely heavy. And try not to get too stressed - easy to say, but keep on top of the worrying.

Otherwise, enjoy smile

Is the new place fairly clean/decorated?

Pinotgrigioplease Tue 06-Nov-12 11:46:51

I moved at 29 weeks and didn't do any heavy lifting. I did clean the old house and the new one but apart from that I just gave instructions about where I wanted things to go!

Good luck!

FloweryBoots Tue 06-Nov-12 13:56:06

I'll be moving about the same point in pregnancy. I've been adviced by many MNers to get removal poeple to do packing as well as the moving. Sounds an ace plan (doubt I'll get DH to agree though).

In last pregnancy I moved (admittedly not with SPD and three kids, or in fact any kids excepting bump) totally un planned due to house fire at 38 weeks. We did it, it wasn't fun, but I and baby were fine.

Advice above all good, I would add get freezer up and running ASAP and have ready meals in, get family to batch cook for your freezer or have meals already in your freezer before the move and a friend to house them in thier won freezer temporarily if you will have a freezer gap etc. On top of the move, the un packing, pregancy generally, the SPD and the kids, you won't feel like cooking! Fish and chips or other takeaway a must for the first night!

CrackleMauve Tue 06-Nov-12 14:21:27

Do pay for a full pack and unpack service. Don't try to do it yourself!

spandau1980 Tue 06-Nov-12 18:26:55

Thankyou all.. we're on a really tight budget so doing alot ourselves.. im packing but not lifting.. and resting loads too.. but stomach hurts if im up and about for more than half hr which is frustrating and scary... but been hospital so many times and its Spd x

wafflingworrier Tue 06-Nov-12 18:48:25

i really hope it all goes well!
i would advise getting someone else to look after the kids the whole time, you be the one who goes and gets the keys to the new house/flat so that you have the fun of opening the door. get a friend or family member to take you out fora cup of tea the day of the move so that you have no choice but to relax. DO NOT LIFT ANYTHING.
i packed over several months and wrote lists of where everything was, so that once we were moved in i could send people off to get x out of Y box.
pack a small suitcase with
pyjamas, bath stuff, clothes for 3 days. toilet rolldx3, nice snacks and magazines. dont expect it all to get done asap, think more like 3 days

DeathMetalMum Tue 06-Nov-12 19:00:20

We have just moved 3 weeks ago, and I was 17 weeks. We also didnt have the budget for removals company etc. On the day of thr move I took dd out of the way and left dp to it really. Shes only 20 month so would have been dangerours for her to be running around, we discussed where I we wanted everything to go. I did minimal packing mostly clothes but no lifting whatsoever.
I did all the organising ringing the gas and electricity suppliers, tv liscence, broadband etc.
I second packing a suitcase and washbag for the family as if you were all going on holiday for a long weekend. We did this and as we we pretty much left with a house full of boxes it made things easy.
Our move was very short notice so short that dp was unable to get any time off and we moved during him working 20 evenings straight doing holiday cover. We are only just recovering.

whatchagonna Tue 06-Nov-12 19:10:23

I moved at 38wks and it was fine. I just let the removal men carry the heavy stuff and pottered with small things. Let the removal men do what they're paid to do!

You have to outsource and just direct.

That or just remove yourself for the day - come back when it's all done.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: