Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Come and tell me about sweeps please......

(20 Posts)
BoysBoysBoysAndMe Mon 05-Nov-12 21:23:19

Booked for having one on Wednesday.

What happens?
What shall I expect?
What does the mw actually do?
Does it hurt or uncomfortable?
Anyone gone into labour quickly afterwards?

Any info would be great!!

Loobylou222 Mon 05-Nov-12 21:27:02

It's a bit uncomfortable, basically mw puts a gel on her finger and sweeps it around your cervix. It only takes a minute.

When I had mine I was already in slow labour and don't think it made a difference as u didn't give birth for another 24hrs!

Unfortunately I have known people to have 2 or 3 before they go into labour sad

Hope it works for you though smile

Loobylou222 Mon 05-Nov-12 21:27:34

I I mean not u hahaha

BoysBoysBoysAndMe Mon 05-Nov-12 21:28:55

Hmmm-is the gel for lubrication or does it do something?

Loobylou222 Mon 05-Nov-12 21:30:40

I think it's like a hormone gel, a bit like what they use when inducing, but I could be wrong, honestly it's nothing to worry about though.

YoullScreamAboutItOneDay Mon 05-Nov-12 21:30:51

It's rather like a smear, in terms of how you lie down. But it is done with fingers.

For most people it is just a bit uncomfortable. However, for a few, it is really painful. Unfortunately I was one of those. It is ok to ask them to stop or go more gently if that happens.

FranTan Mon 05-Nov-12 21:33:35

Boys - will you report back, please, think I'm having one on Monday and was wondering the same?

BoysBoysBoysAndMe Mon 05-Nov-12 21:36:28

God I hate all this messing with your fanjo business blush

You think I'd be used to it after having two boys already!

Thanks for your replies! Hope it gets things going!!

EthelredOnAGoodDay Mon 05-Nov-12 21:37:08

Good tip I had and used in mine, clench your fists and put them under your bum cheeks! blushgrin
It's uncomfortable I'd say, take a few deep breaths. Fingers crossed for you.

Jergens Mon 05-Nov-12 21:37:10

The gel is just a lubricant. It does not contain prostaglandins which are used in induction.

YoullScreamAboutItOneDay Mon 05-Nov-12 21:39:34

You know you could say no if you wanted? They aren't very strongly clinically indicated, so if you don't want to, just say no.

BoysBoysBoysAndMe Mon 05-Nov-12 21:43:54

I was thinking that youllscream- I chickened out last year at the last minute and I went into labour the night before I was to be induced.

Do not want to be induced at all as I have the two boys' childcare to think of-which is an absolute nightmare(no family) so I think I'll just grin and bear it this time.

I want to be away from home for as little time as possible really.

NovemberAli Mon 05-Nov-12 21:46:32

Was a bit uncomfortable, spotted a little bit of blood afterwards and went into labour about 30 hours later. I was 40+9 at that point though so don't know if it was down to sweep or not!

YoullScreamAboutItOneDay Mon 05-Nov-12 21:46:39

Mine were both overdue. I feel your pain. Hope it gets going soon.

BoysBoysBoysAndMe Mon 05-Nov-12 22:04:30

Should I take a sanitary towel to pop on in the toilets afterwards in case I bleed or anything <sorry if a stupid question>

piprabbit Mon 05-Nov-12 22:10:18

Good luck for Wednesday.
Good idea to take a maternity towel for a couple of reasons. You may bleed a little, or you may find your waters start to go sometime afterwards.

Downbytheocean Mon 05-Nov-12 22:11:01

I had one and also went into labour 30 hours later at 40+6 with ds2. Ds1 came on his due date so was not used to this!

For me it was painless, a touch uncomfortable but totally worth it. I didn't spot and no need for sanitary towel. It took seconds and I was already 1cm dilated when mw did stretch and sweep.

I had a show the following day which often is no indication but i woke up at 1am to waters going, contractions starting and delivered at 5.45 at home in the pool.

I would say don't worry about it, give it a try and if it's too uncomfortable nothing is lost. Good luck.

flyoverthegoldenhill Mon 05-Nov-12 22:23:08

If you don't want a sweep why not have a shag a session with your dh instead - much more fun smile

rogersmellyonthetelly Tue 06-Nov-12 09:46:33

They are uncomfortable rather than painful, if you are lucky you will have cramps and possibly labour, if unlucky it will have no effect whatsoever.
Basically if your body is ready it can tip you over the edge and kick start labour, if your body isn't ready it won't have any effect.

BoysBoysBoysAndMe Wed 07-Nov-12 13:48:39

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Just been for a sweep and it was really quite uncomfortable, but not too bad.

Mw could open me to 3cm so hopefully it will get things moving.

Thanks again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now