Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

clarithromycin - very very stressed after googling it

(8 Posts)
tasmaniandevilchaser Mon 05-Nov-12 21:09:39

hi, I've had pneumonia and was given clarithromycin at the hospital while I was too unwell to really discuss it. They just said that it hadn't been tested on pg women and the benefits outweighed the risks, and that's what they give to pg women with pneumonia and it's always been fine.

Now I'm well enough to google, I am freaking out very very badly. Please don't just come on and tell me what I've already read as it is making me very stressed.

I just want to know if anyone has taken clarithromycin in pregnancy and whether their baby had birth defects or not.

I was 13 wks when I started the course, so I'm hoping that the baby was well enough developed to avoid any major birth defects.

LunaticFringe Mon 05-Nov-12 21:12:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tasmaniandevilchaser Mon 05-Nov-12 21:18:53

thanks lunatic I know I know, google is a nightmare sometimes! I do feel a bit reassured.

procrastinor Mon 05-Nov-12 21:44:16

Can I just ask where you looked? I did a lit review and can only really find a prospective trial that showed no increased incidence of birth defects in women who were already pregnant when started on clarithromycin. It is rated as a category C drug but tbh the vast vast majority of drugs are category C.

tasmaniandevilchaser Mon 05-Nov-12 22:11:30

hi procrastinor, I just did a google search on clarithromycin and pregnancy. A whole load of sites came up, one about biaxin (assume that's the generic name for it). One said teratogenic effects in animals - I think growth retardation in mice, increased incidence of cleft palate in rats and heart defects in some other animal. Though it did say a small increase.

I'm just so stressed anyway, it's not been an easy pg. Your lit review sounds a lot more reassuring, thanks! smile

procrastinor Tue 06-Nov-12 08:26:49

Not a prob - I remember that stage really well! Googles awful - it's unfiltered responses and a lot of the sites are aimed at medical professionals and so have a lot of blunt technical speak that sounds horrendous but is actually expected and fine.

Whenever I prescribe for pg women I - and the rest of my colleagues - are super careful about risks. I imagine the obstetrician got a call to check its ok too smile

IcouldstillbeJoseph Tue 06-Nov-12 08:41:33

If it helps - I'm a MW - I've just had pneumonia too. And I was 18 wks preg. I had lots (3 weeks) of clarithromycin, benzylpen, and 3 chest xrays and a VQ scan.
All not ideal but far safer for the baby for you to be infection free and, frankly, alive. Pneumonia is a leading cause of mortality in pregnant women the world over.
The doctors don't do anything unless fully justified and evidence based. And by evidence, I don't mean Google!

Hope you feel better soon OP, pneumonia is the pits.

tasmaniandevilchaser Tue 06-Nov-12 09:40:52

thanks so much procrastinor and joseph.

The gynae registrar was the one that actually saw me in A&E, so I'd hope he knew what he was doing!

joseph sorry you've been so ill, hope that you are on the mend. Pneumonia really is the pits. I had no idea how awful it is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now