Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Do sweeps ever work?

(9 Posts)
MayimBialik Mon 05-Nov-12 12:29:33

I'm having one tomorrow at 40+2 and hoping it'll work. Baby plotting biggish so don't want to go too overdue!

Also what is it like? Painful?

Would like to hear people's experiences of this. Thanks!

MrsMarigold Mon 05-Nov-12 12:32:13

I didn't have an official sweep just an examination at 37 weeks and a few hours later I was holding my baby. The hospital said whenever that consultant examines people in the advanced stages it brings on labour....

osterleymama Mon 05-Nov-12 16:12:38

With DS1 I had two sweeps, the first was gentle and nothing happened, the second one was the following day and the midwife shoved most of her hand up there and had a good rummage. I lost my mucus plug that evening and labour started a few hours after that. I think a sweep has to be vigorous to work.

MayimBialik Mon 05-Nov-12 16:14:33

Fingers crossed mine works xx

CountryKitty Tue 06-Nov-12 07:17:26

Yup! I had DD1 & DD2 the day after having a sweep each time. Goodluck!

Flisspaps Tue 06-Nov-12 07:19:38

Neither of mine worked. I wish I'd taken my own advice and not bothered second time round.

Generally, they only work if you're going to go into labour in the next couple of days anyway.

Welovecouscous Tue 06-Nov-12 07:21:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ZuleikaD Tue 06-Nov-12 07:41:58

I had sweeps with both of mine - got labour started with DD, then had a sweep with DS that did nothing (MW did say that my cervix wasn't ripe yet) then another a week later that kicked things off bigstyle. It only works if you're ready for it.

Spinity Tue 06-Nov-12 10:43:42

I had a sweep by the consultant which was very painful and vigorous, however I had my first contraction 30 mins later and my daughter was born 5 hours later. So yes, I think it did work :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now