Talk

Advanced search

8 weeks pregnant and feel like I can't breathe

(9 Posts)
KatieTrancoso Mon 05-Nov-12 10:27:56

Hi, this is my first pregnancy and I was wandering if anyone out there has also experienced the feeling that you are being strangled because your throat feels so constricted? It's been like this since week 6 but it's getting worse, particularly at night though I feel it today in the morning. I also feel like my head is pointing downhill and filling up with blood whenever in lie down! Horrible. Is this normal or is it something I should be concerned about?

DoodleAlley Mon 05-Nov-12 10:40:38

Bumping for you, I know how easy it is to worry when pg

10storeylovesong Mon 05-Nov-12 12:59:01

I think I know what you mean. I've been really paranoid about things touching my throat and feel like its constantly blocked, making it hard for me to swallow and breathe. I find that it gets worse just before I throw up. Not had the feeling that head filling with blood though - that might need checking out.

ratbagcatbag Mon 05-Nov-12 13:03:23

If worried, ring the midwife, I have experienced all sorts of wierd things since being pregnant and hated the first 14 weeks.
do you normally suffer with headcolds/coughs etc, just wonder if it could be this coming out earlier and in a different way.
Keep calm and get expert advice, they really are lovely for anything you ring them for and you will feel far better being reassured by a medically trained person. smile

KatieTrancoso Mon 05-Nov-12 14:25:00

Thanks...I don't have a midwife yet as I've been seeing an OB directly because of possible complications. I have to return for blood tests this week though, so I'll be sure to find out who I'm supposed to contact if I have any questions! My immune system isn't great so I do catch anything that's going around even when not pregnant - my glands are up but have been for 2 weeks, I had just assumed that was what happened when pregnant?! But then this constricted feeling around my throat doesn't seem right, very uncomfortable. I hope it's not my body rejecting the little bean!

Bunnychan Mon 05-Nov-12 17:48:29

If it helps to know, my neck has become mega sensitive to things feeling tight- have to wear scarves loose, unbutton things more than normal and certain hoodies feeling like they are strangling me by pulling on the neckline. I just thought it was related to my sensitive gag relax x

milkyjo Mon 05-Nov-12 20:40:39

I had this at 6 weeks for about a week. Apparently it is your body's way of getting more oxygen to grow your baby. You feel like you can't breathe because you are breathing much faster and trying to take larger breaths. I remember being in a lecture and having to text my DH to find out why, I thought I was going to pass out at one point! It only lasted for a week, I don't remember it the first time round though.

KatieTrancoso Tue 06-Nov-12 12:38:48

I suddenly remembered last night that my mum (who died last year) told me that several women in my family had thyroid problems during pregnancy...I looked it up and the symptoms fit. My OB has referred me back to my GP and then an endocrinologist. I hope I'm wrong, as hypothyroidism sounds very complicated to treat and can affect the development of the foetus, trigger miscarriage etc. Fingers crossed it's what Milky Jo suggested...

I don't like wearing polonecks at the moment - real bugger since that is my usual winter work outfit! Also sound terrible when I walk up the 3 flights of stairs to my office - all wheezy and as if I am the most unfit person in the office when I used to be fine!
I just pencil it down to another weird thing because of pregnancy!

In your case though sounds like you are under good medical supervision so just make sure you're letting them know about your concerns and hopefully they can check it out for you at put your mind at rest...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now