Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Calling any Drs or nurses, trying not to panic but Dd2 due any day and 3.5 Dd just got chickenpox...!!

(18 Posts)
Elsqueak Sun 04-Nov-12 10:03:20

I know it's contagious and with newborns you have to be so careful. I've had it as a child so I know baby's ok as long as she's inside but do I have to wash everywhere Dd1 has been?!
Am nervous about the birth anyway but this is making me freak out.
Someone told me that Dd1 can't even be in the same house as newborn!
Everywhere seems dirty. Am trying to keep a lid on my own panic as Dd1 is already unsettled by pending arrival...
Just need some advice or experiences please!

GotMyGoat Sun 04-Nov-12 10:06:47

Not a dr or nurse but thought i'd offer some hand holding. hopefully someone will advise soon - might be worth calling your doctor or midwife to ask for some advise.

EdsRedeemingQualities Sun 04-Nov-12 10:06:57

Don't panic. I have a friend whose toddler got it just before her second was born, yes the baby got it too but it wasn't too bad. There will be some antibodies from you esp if you BF.

Secondly, have you got somewhere that dd can go for a few days?

I haven't much medical knowledge on this but I've heard about people sending the older child away for a bit till no longer contagious, as obviously it's best that the baby doesn't catch it when they are so little.

Elsqueak Sun 04-Nov-12 10:15:37

Thank you both, especially for much needed hand holding. I've been so calm during this pregnancy until now. Just feel I'm no longer in control.

Am intending to BF, definitely. I think Dd2 can probably go to Grandma's.
Have been trying midwife but can't get through. First thing Monday I'll try my doctors too.
Can DH even hold newborn if he's been looking after Dd1?
Feel like hosing us all down with Dettol and then the house!

EdsRedeemingQualities Sun 04-Nov-12 10:17:39

I'm not sure, but I don't think it can be passed on through touch by a third party. So you should be Ok.

unexpectediteminbaggingarea Sun 04-Nov-12 10:24:53

if you've had chicken pox the baby will have some passive immunity for the first few weeks, reinforced if you breastfeed.

Info here on passive immunity:

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/939.aspx

Please try not to worry. Neonatal chicken pox is very rare, despite lots of babies being around chicken poxy children, because of the mother's immunity (95% of pregnant women are immune to chicken pox).

There is no advice to send your 3.5 away that I am aware of, and it may only serve to make her jealous and upset, imo.

Elsqueak Sun 04-Nov-12 10:26:14

Bloody hell, this is driving me nuts. Baby could come at any time and I just don't feel ready at all. Thanks for your support though.

Elsqueak Sun 04-Nov-12 10:35:17

Thanks for the link, unexpected.
That's why I'm anxious about sending poor Dd1 away. It's hard enough accepting new siblings without making her feel she can't be around it.

maebyfunke Sun 04-Nov-12 10:38:53

DD1 got chicken pox when DD2 was 3 weeks old. DD2 then got it at five weeks - she had a very mild version and was fine.

Elsqueak Sun 04-Nov-12 10:44:43

That's hopeful, Mae. Did you have advice to wash and launder everything Dd1 was in contact with?

VivaLeBeaver Sun 04-Nov-12 10:56:08

You don't need to wash and launder stuff that your dd has been in contact with, the virus isn't that contagious.

Your dd will be contagious until the spots have scabbed over which hopefully will be by the time baby is born. Normally about 5 days. But yes you can help boost immunity by breastfeeding, baby will be born with some immunity from you if you're immune which you should be if you've had it.

Elsqueak Sun 04-Nov-12 12:21:48

Thank you all. Feeling a bit calmer from reading your posts. Think hormones aren't helping my rational thoughts either right now. Just breath...

mummysmellsofsick Sun 04-Nov-12 12:32:26

Also I think the reason we don't vaccinate nationally against cp is because every time you encounter it, it reactivates your immunity. So if you bf then you'll have some lovely fresh antibodies for new baby

Tobermory Sun 04-Nov-12 12:41:43

Elsqueak, we had a similar situation. My DD1 got chickenpox (spots appeared) when DD2 was 5 days old. I panicked a bit, got advice from GP who basically said it'll all be ok, they certainly weren't bothered nough to see us. I was breasfeeding exclusively which I thinks one reason that DD2 was ok. She got one spot that looked chicken poxy but otherwise just fine.

Elsqueak Sun 04-Nov-12 13:40:20

Right. So BF all the way, then. Thank you so much! Starting to relax a bit now.
Thank-you lovely mumsnetters!

reikizen Sun 04-Nov-12 13:44:06

www.rcog.org.uk/files/rcog-corp/Chickenpox%20in%20Pregnancy.pdf Royal college of obs guidance

7to25 Sun 04-Nov-12 13:52:52

My DS4 had chickenpox as a small baby. Two spots and that was it. I was BF exclusively. please do not panic.

Elsqueak Sun 04-Nov-12 14:55:05

Oo, thanks Rekizen, good reading there.
Thanks 7. Am making concerted effort to not panic...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now