Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Possible tonsillitis while pregnant

(17 Posts)
DoodleAlley Sun 04-Nov-12 08:05:38

Im in agony and have been since yesterday when I woke up with piercing earache and horrible pain whenever I swallowed.

Things have progressed so it's now getting difficult to swallow.

On a brief inspection of the back of my throat I have white blobs.

So I'm guessing some kind of throat infection.

I've been sleeping almost constantly but seem to be keeping my temperature within normal boundaries.

I'm 17 weeks pregnant does anyone have experience of a situation like this and whether I can let it run it's course or whethe I need to make a trip to the doctors on Monday?

Thank you

brettgirl2 Sun 04-Nov-12 08:09:19

No experience in pregnancy but if you are finding it hard to swallow then I think you need to ring out of hours. Not least because you can only take paracetamol and not nurofen.

DoodleAlley Sun 04-Nov-12 08:11:17

It's hard to swallow but not impossible. Throat doesn't look impossibly swollen so I am guessing it's the pain which makes it hard.

Managed to take paracetamol (with wincing). Steered away from ibuprofen.

weegiemum Sun 04-Nov-12 08:11:28

Most sore throats, even with White blobs, are viral.

Antibiotics will help a bit if it's bacterial, but only shorten the time of it by 1-2 days.

Antibiotics are perfectly safe in pregnancy (in fact I was on them all through my pg with dd2 to stop kidney infections).

So not helping much am I? (know the above as I've listened to dh give his 'sore throat' talk over the phone when an on call GP on many occasions!)

Worry would be if you can't get clear fluids down. That's an emergency (and I had my tonsils out in my teens because of that!)

DoodleAlley Sun 04-Nov-12 08:15:45

I'm getting liquids down, not consistently but by shoving them down me when the painkillers are most effective.

Unfortunately with only taking paracetamol there are good two hour blocks when the painkillers are worn off and it's hard to drink then but still needing the toilet ok.

Thanks for the advice. I'm feeling very sorry for myself!

FrightRunScream Sun 04-Nov-12 08:18:14

I had a throat infection when pg (no tonsils) and just took paracetamol, glycerine and honey and gritted my teeth.

Longtalljosie Sun 04-Nov-12 08:18:35

Go to the out of hours doctor, and get yourself some antibiotics. I had tonsillitis while pregnant too. The antibiotics which zap it are perfectly safe.

My BIL had tonsillitis last year, put off going to the doctor and ended up in hospital with Quinsy. You seriously don't want that...

DoodleAlley Sun 04-Nov-12 08:32:02

Ok that's a bit scary as my symptoms came on quite quickly overnight.

But it sounds fairly rare

FirstUpBestDressed Sun 04-Nov-12 08:45:00

I think it would be wise to get seen.
Certain throat infections (group a strep) are serious in pregnancy and need antibiotics.
Hope you feel better soon.

DoodleAlley Sun 04-Nov-12 09:01:46

Ok called ooh. They will call back within the hour.

Trying not to panic after googling these things

chezziejo Sun 04-Nov-12 09:12:44

I had tonsillitis twice in early pregnancy. I left it two weeks before going to drs and made myself quite ill with high temps. It's fairly easy treated and I had two lots of antibiotics that were deemed safe in pregnancy. Can't remember what they we're to be honest it might have been flucloxacillin or ciprofloxacin. I'm 37 weeks now and baby is doing fine. I was also told to gargle corsodyl mouthwash. Tonsillitis makes you feel crap and I had the white blobs which I was told was my tonsils discharging pus. Shame there isn't a puking icon.

DoodleAlley Sun 04-Nov-12 09:13:02

Appointment at ten to see if I need antibiotics.

Trying not to panic that it's a fatal strep a infection having never heard of it before!

Bit scared it'll hurt me or the baby. Trying to keep it together as we have visitors here this weekend

kellestar Sun 04-Nov-12 09:15:27

It sounds odd but I always found gargling with dispirsable paracetemol. spitting it out, not swallowing, it helped get relief to the right area. I had tonsilitus recurrently through my last pg and GP recommended it.

DoodleAlley Sun 04-Nov-12 09:17:08

Ok so plenty of people have it in pregnancy and don't die and it all works out fine?

Deep breaths.

Would help if next door weren't hammering and sawing at this time in the morning next to me bedroom!

chezziejo Sun 04-Nov-12 09:18:30

I was never even swabbed. Anyway the antibiotics did the trick. Try not to worry, you are being seen and they will sort you out :-)

DoodleAlley Sun 04-Nov-12 09:20:21

Thank you

DoodleAlley Sun 04-Nov-12 10:46:15

Back from GP. No antibiotics thinks pharyngitis not tonsillitis. Given throat spray and told to go to GP if no improvement by Tuesday

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now