Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What is the earliest you can go for a scan?

(7 Posts)
AreAllMenTheSame2 Sun 04-Nov-12 04:12:10

I am only 5/6 weeks but wondered whats the earliest I could go for a scan? I've waited for this baby for so long Im terrified somthings going to go wrong. I just want to see it so I know its ok. First pregnancy so everything is new to me! Xx

milkysmum Sun 04-Nov-12 04:14:41

You could probably see a bit of something on the scan now- nothing that looks like a baby though!!!! I reckon you would have to pay private to get an early scan for no clinical reason however. Congratulations by the way!

Passmethecrisps Sun 04-Nov-12 04:17:51

Congrats!

You could pay for one now but at 5/6 weeks you could easily see nothing but an empty sac.

8 weeks I think is pretty good as there should be some sort of heartbeat.

Good luck!

ellargh Sun 04-Nov-12 04:22:43

I was 6 weeks and was lucky enough to see a heartbeat both times. I didn't pay for these scans as I was bleeding and the NHS scanned me but it didn't look like a baby on screen, just a sac, a blob and a little flickering heartbeat. Others are not so lucky to get a heartbeat so early on but around 8 weeks it should be detectable. My scan was transvaginal though so it made a difference.

mameulah Sun 04-Nov-12 04:34:52

Congratulations! We suffered a missed miscarriage and when I fell pregnant this time (our baby is due any day now!) I was desperate to go for a scan. The private clinic recommend 9 weeks because it meant it was more likely we could see something clearly. Waiting for it did feel like an eternity but it was definitely worth it.

Also, we found it helpful purchasing a doppler. My mum was worried it would turn me into a crazy lady but instead it just gave me the reassurance I needed when I felt vulnerable. And when I have been worried it has been good for my dh to say 'go and get the doppler' and he has been able to reassure me. We got our on amazon for about £40. There are plenty available more cheaply than that but the reviews on them are often rubbish.

I hope it all goes well for you!

AreAllMenTheSame2 Sun 04-Nov-12 04:47:05

Thanks for the replies everyone! It sounds like id be better off leaving it for a few weeks then. Dp & I have been ttc since 2010 so now its actually happened im excited but petrified at the same time! Because ive wanted it for so long im scared its going to be taken away.

Im going to sound a bit of a dunce but what is a dobbler and what does it do? Aww and congratulations Mameulah smile

mameulah Sun 04-Nov-12 10:18:29

A doppler is a baby heartbeat monitor. It is basically the same kind of machine the midwife uses to hear the baby's heartbeat, but because the appoitments are so far apart if you have one at home it helps reassure you.

Although having said that, one of the midwifes we met said that they are trying to move women away from the reliance of the doppler. She said that we lead such busy lives that what happens is you fret heaps up to your appointment, then listen to the baby's heartbeat with the doppler, and then you walk away happy until the whole routine starts itself up again.

At first I thought she was being really harsh but her point was that it is so much better for a Mum to tune in to her baby's rhythmn and routine. That is obviously hard to do at the beginning but the bigger your baby gets the more able you are to recognise patterns in its behaviour. If you are interested I can tell you a bit more about how I have done this but no worries if you are feeling all under control.

I would tell you to relax and enjoy it all but I already am sure that you are trying your best to do both.

Sending you and your growing bump much love and the best of luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now