Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

cant stop itching! its driving me mad!!!!

(18 Posts)
kirdy Sat 03-Nov-12 20:28:39

I'm 33 weeks pregnant and I can't stop itching all over its seems to be all the time and its really getting me down now! Anyone else had this problem?

lia66 Sat 03-Nov-12 20:31:29

is there a rash?

iamstitch Sat 03-Nov-12 20:31:37

Watching with interest as I'm in the same boat! Im 21 weeks and its everywhere apart from my bump sad

lia66 Sat 03-Nov-12 20:32:11

have you discussed it with mw? Could be OC. First baby? subsequent? Could be PUPPS

LadyKinbote Sat 03-Nov-12 20:34:10

I would get it checked out - I've got a feeling it's one of those symptoms you need to be careful it's not something more serious. That said, I had a very itchy tummy in pregnancy and got some great cream from my GP.

DameSaggarmakersbottomknocker Sat 03-Nov-12 20:34:20

Yes agree with lia, do speak with your midwife about it.

lia66 Sat 03-Nov-12 20:35:30

www.pregnancycorner.com/being-pregnant/complications/pupps.html

www.britishlivertrust.org.uk/home/the-liver/liver-diseases/obstetric-cholestasis.aspx

less likely to be oc if it's generalised itching. Could just be skin stretching. Oatmeal bath might help

SpottyTeacakes Sat 03-Nov-12 20:35:33

Sounds like Cholestasis, you need to get it checked out. Itchy bumpy is one thing but itchy everywhere is different

kirdy Sat 03-Nov-12 20:37:05

No there is no rash there just goes red raw with the itching! Which I try not to do but can't help it. No spoken to midwife about it yet seeing get next week thought I would wait till then. Its my third baby and didn't have this with other two. What's PUPPS? Xx

kirdy Sat 03-Nov-12 20:38:58

Its not just bump its everywhere bump back legs arms hands neck feet!! All over really!!! Could it be anything serious?

NellyBluth Sat 03-Nov-12 20:50:25

I don't know how serious obstetric choleostasis(?) is but it is definitely something that you need to get checked out. Itch without a rash is not a very good sign, sorry. As it is the weekend I'd call OoH or maybe the maternity ward tonight and see what they say.

SpottyTeacakes Sat 03-Nov-12 20:52:55

I second calling labour ward. They will be able to tell with a blood test. I had it with dd. they can do things about it (I think) mine came on pretty quick though so I was induced.

Princessdivaaa Sat 03-Nov-12 20:55:08

You need to get it checked out ASAP I had itching in both my pregnancies and it was OC!

kirdy Sat 03-Nov-12 21:28:31

I hope its nothing to serious god im not having a good pregnancy at all!! Hemorhage at 7 weeks nearly lost baby. More bleeding later on got spd and carpal tunnel and placenta Previa and now all this! I'm so fed up :-(:-(

lia66 Sat 03-Nov-12 21:29:18

don't panic op. I've had OC three times, induced twice, baby came naturally 3rd time. First wasn't noticed till 41 wks and was induced that day but that was because i was post dates and my bile acids were quite high.

Current recomendations are that there is no concrete evidence to suggest that early induction makes any difference to outcomes.

You can help your hands and feet with cold water, put your feet in as cold water as you can bare. OC does tend to be localised on hands and feet although it can be more widespread.

Speak to mw on Monday, or call sooner if you are worried obviously. x

debbie1412 Sat 03-Nov-12 21:30:52

Hands and feet??? You need to go get looked at.

kirdy Sat 03-Nov-12 21:36:43

thanks I will ring her first thing Mon morning go get it checked out just hope all is ok. Xx

lia66 Sat 03-Nov-12 22:05:10

you're 33 wks, they might give you steroids at this stage for baby if they consider inducing early, (wouldn't be before 38 wks). they can give you Urso for the itching but not all hospitals do.

They would want to have you in twice a week for a scan, trace and bloods taken. They are checking for bile acids and ALT

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now