Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

any advice for getting rid of heartburn?

(15 Posts)
mamaLou13 Sat 03-Nov-12 19:34:17

Ive got it terrible and it is constant as well. I had it right through my last pregnancy and went through ridiculous amounts of gaviscon (which didn't seem to help) I have been taking rene tablets this time too but again it works for about a minute to five minutes then its back again. I have been told to try beetroot? Fresh obviously not pickled so will be picking some up next time i go shopping but any other suggeestions very very welcome.

amatuermummy Sat 03-Nov-12 19:54:35

Well, I've been prescribed Ranitidine, which is safe in pregnancy and is the only thing that works for me. I don't know how many weeks you are so not sure if you can take it yet, but worth checking with your midwife. I've been taking it since about 16 weeks on and off but I'm taking it twice a day at the moment, it's the only way to make it bearable. You can buy it over the counter as Zantac or store's own brand indigestion tablets, but I'd check first, just in case.

Iggly Sat 03-Nov-12 19:57:56

Peppermint tea - small sips after dinner.

Small regular meals

Ease up on fatty, spicy and acidic foods (tomatoes, citrus etc). Dairy is the worst because milk/yoghurt/icecream temporarily soothe it but being fatty, makes it come back with a vengeance!

CheeseToasty Sat 03-Nov-12 20:02:07

Extra strong mints and ice poles.

StealthToddler Sat 03-Nov-12 21:02:00

Glass of milk before bed for me worked a treat. Suffered badly with it in 2 of my pregnancies particularly when I went to bed.

VerySmallSqueak Sat 03-Nov-12 21:04:18

I found I had to avoid onions (even as an ingredient) and orange juice like the plague.

izzywizzyisbizzy Sat 03-Nov-12 21:05:30

Was going to suggest milk as well - works for me.

picnicbasketcase Sat 03-Nov-12 21:06:48

Tiny sips of very cold milk worked for me whilst pg, even though its supposed to make it worse.

PickleSarnie Sat 03-Nov-12 21:15:51

Omeprazole. It was nothing short of miraculous!

xmasevebundle Sat 03-Nov-12 22:03:34

Milk always, i must drink a pint each night!

I always get it when i lay down sad

I sometimes swig gaviscone at night when i wake up and my throat is on fire/acid.

InNeedofSomeSleep Sat 03-Nov-12 22:06:08

Tesco brand of indigestion tablets, taste like refreshers. I had terrible heartburn with 1st pregnancy and these are the only thing that helped. Also milk was a lovely relief.

Purplehonesty Sat 03-Nov-12 22:07:39

Peptac. Old fashioned glass bottle.
I got it from a pharmacist friend and got the first decent nights sleep in weeks. Took it every night before bed

DangerMousey Sun 04-Nov-12 09:24:12

I suffered with really bad heartburn for WEEKS, muddling through with gaviscon and rennies, before finally getting round to seeing my doctor at 35 weeks. She prescribed a drug called Omeprazole which is similar to the rinitidine mentioned above.

It has changed my life!! I just take one tablet per day and since the first day have not had a single episode of heartburn. Seriously, don't muddle through and try to cope with heartburn, get to the docs and get some of these pills smile

mamaLou13 Mon 05-Nov-12 21:22:01

Thanks very much ladies. I hate taking anything unless i really have to so will try milk again for a bit and when if it doesnt work i will get to the docs.

Ice cold apple before bed apparently

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now