Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Driving at 38++ weeks?

(18 Posts)
PrunellaDeVille Sat 03-Nov-12 08:56:13

Making plans, not so relaxed at the wheel already at 35+3, manoeuvering (sp?)
proving trickier.
Could do with driving 30mins - 1hr distances everyday on my own at 38+ weeks.
Did you?
Would you?
Am i being overly cautious as a first timer?

StarsGhostTail Sat 03-Nov-12 09:09:33

I never thought about it, I've always lived in the countryside so driving is as natural as breathing.
Drove up to the day both DDs were born. No doubt was out again when they were a few days old.

I was more comfortable driving as PG is the only time I get car sick.

lindsell Sat 03-Nov-12 09:11:21

I drove up until I went into labour both times, didn't think about it and in fact my mw with ds2 advised driving over lots of speed bumps to bring on labour grin

Pascha Sat 03-Nov-12 09:13:40

I also drove until I went into labour. I didn't have any restriction issues though, my bump was relatively small, I could reach everything without any difficulty and I had no pain of any kind. I can see it would be different with SPD/mobility/huge bump issues.

Sleepyfergus Sat 03-Nov-12 09:14:29

Like pp, I drive right up to giving birth (well, not literally iykwim) and was driving as soon as needed afterwards (no cs for me)

Tbh, if your bump doesn't get in the way too much and you're safely able to drive, then no reason to stop. Getting out the house is a lifesaver in the last few weeks as it can get v boring sitting watching tv just waiting...... And think of all those nesting shopping expeditions you may need to make!

Good luck for your impending new arrival! smile

Bunbaker Sat 03-Nov-12 09:15:07

I live in a rural area and never gave up driving.

HarlettOScara Sat 03-Nov-12 09:16:38

I was driving up until 40+9 (was induced at 40+10). I did have SPD but could manage to drive comfortably - getting in and out of the car was the hard part!

mameulah Sat 03-Nov-12 09:17:44

I am 38 +3 and am still driving.

TwitchyTail Sat 03-Nov-12 09:22:57

As long as you are comfortable, go for it. My aunt had to stop at 38 weeks as she couldn't physically reach the steering wheel! (she was petite with a large bump though).

If its comfy go for it tbh.

I have some hip pain of I drive for more than 30 mins these days but not enough for it to be a problem just make me uncomfortable. And I'm still driving. 34 weeks tomo so slightly behind you but I'd think it's fine as long as you feel happy and comfortable.

AnitaBlake Sat 03-Nov-12 09:35:29

I'm 39 today and delivering on Monday. I drove yesterday no bother at all, but doubt I will drive again now due to circumstances. It really depends on a lot and you can't predict what's going to happen. I stopped at 33w last time!

Rockchick1984 Sat 03-Nov-12 09:46:23

I didn't drive after 37 weeks. A combination of being uncomfortable, and worrying about labour/massive painful kick making me do something daft/generally scared that if in a crash I'd hurt the baby with the steering wheel smile Luckily where we live I could mostly avoid needing to drive, and have friends and family who were happy to help me out smile

TheDuckSaysMoo Sat 03-Nov-12 09:49:31

I went into a very fast labour while driving so I drove to the hospital - very handy but I did think I was going to have to stop and puke several times.

flutterbynight Sat 03-Nov-12 09:50:14

I drove up until about 39 weeks - stopped then because my bump was getting uncomfortably close to the steering wheel which made me feel quite vulnerable and also because I don't really have anywhere I need to go by car at the moment - can either walk or have people come to me!

nextphase Sat 03-Nov-12 09:54:51

I had a smallish bump, and didn't stop driving - but I never struggles to reach peddles / wheel safely.
If you can get in the car, and reach everything you need, I'd keep driving.

carrielou2007 Sat 03-Nov-12 11:45:07

Never stopped driving with either dc, though dud draw the line at driving ex dp to look (not buy!!) a car 4 hours away from home at 40+9 he told me I was selfish hint why he's the ex?? Drove him to buy a car when dd was a week old but only 100 miles grin.

Drove to be induced both times at 40+12. Driven all over the country for work whilst in my pre-reg period so very happy driving anywhere. Not driving at the mo only 17 weeks but due to eye ops and with two dc it us very very irritating!!

PrunellaDeVille Sun 04-Nov-12 11:19:15

thanks for all the replies, that's very reassuring that so many of you aren't phased by it, i shall carry on making my plans to include as much driving as required. smile

AnitaBlake Mon 05-Nov-12 05:07:09

As it turns out, I did drive yesterday (Saturday?) after all as DH and DFIL were doing DIY, DD was whinging and I noticed an escape route, so I drive at 39w lol. DH is def driving me to hospital in the morning thought!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now