Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is local anesthetic safe?

(9 Posts)
MB34 Fri 02-Nov-12 22:40:14

I broke a tooth today and have managed to get an emergency appointment for tomorrow. The nurse on the phone said that I couldn't have local anesthetic as I'm pregnant - I'm 38+3.

I thought local was ok to have whilst pregnant!

I had surgery on my varicose veins 6 days before I had my BFP under local anesthetic and I don't think they asked if there was a chance I could have been pregnant.

So, I'm confused now - anyone know if you can?? I'm worried now that I'll have no pain relief tomorrow!

hairyqueenofscots Fri 02-Nov-12 22:43:05

yes you can, no idea why she said that, have assisted during extraction of tooth for a 40 week pregnant lady before, good luck smile

VivaLeBeaver Fri 02-Nov-12 22:52:40

Very safe. Or maybe it's some special unsafe dental anaesthetic I don't know about possibly.

carrielou2007 Fri 02-Nov-12 23:14:05

Totally safe, local as in the localised area only to where it is applied. I know as I have had to have three eye ops under local (and I'm talking bit more serious than a cataract!) as I am pregnant grin

GlaikitFizzog Fri 02-Nov-12 23:17:46

It may be safe but the dentist may not be able to administer to pregnant women.

The nurse at my practice couldn't give me the mmr booster because I was bfing but the GP could.

Ask why.

NatashaBee Fri 02-Nov-12 23:24:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Splatt34 Sat 03-Nov-12 16:21:07

What do you think they put in an epidural? Local is fine

FlaminNoraImPregnantPanda Sat 03-Nov-12 17:27:22

Yep fine. I broke a tooth the other day and it's all fixed now. The only thing I couldn't have was the sedative beforehand (which I usually have because I'm a big scaredy cat).

TwitchyTail Sat 03-Nov-12 19:37:44

Yes, local is completely safe.

Agree that maybe the nurse meant they have policies not to use certain things on pregnant women, possibly related to their practice insurance etc. Check with the dentist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now