Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

37 weeks today, what was labour like?!

(9 Posts)
Mummytobee2012 Fri 02-Nov-12 16:49:03

So to who anyone whos had there babies, question: How did your labours start? Dumb question but as a first time mum to be im intriguied to know!! I've been feeling more sick lately, always feeling like i need to fart (Sorry for TMI.) I haven't really had Braxton hicks but i've been having period cramps for about 1 week now, and have been losing bits of my mucus plug for about 2 weeks now. Discharge is becoming more and more increased, as is my breast leaking, i feel more pressure in the pelvis now as my little man is engaged!! I'd LOVE to hear how it started for everyone else!!

Rockchick1984 Fri 02-Nov-12 23:25:21

I'd been having niggles for a few weeks. Went to the toilet, and after I'd finished I had another small trickle but wasn't sure if it was my waters or urine so decided to just see how I went on. Within half an hour my tummy had very strong pains which felt identical to food poisoning cramps, took DH pointing out that maybe we should ring labour ward before I agreed it may be more than just a dodgy burger for my tea grin

Everyone had said when going into labour you will know. All the niggles over the few weeks before, I kept thinking maybe something was starting but when it was I didn't believe it for ages!

Clarella Sat 03-Nov-12 04:43:36

Ooh, 37 on Monday, nothing going on like you describe mummy other than mild lower back pain and feeling rather odd and a few tight bh which was possibly head engaging last week - let us know how you're getting on!

cravingcake Sat 03-Nov-12 04:59:15

I had similar niggles to you, lost plug around 37 weeks, braxton hicks and cramps. Woke up one morning (38+1) with very damp pants, went to loo and waters just very slowly trickled, and did so for next 2 days while having irregular and not very strong contractions.

Kelvinator Sat 03-Nov-12 05:54:15

Your symptoms were what I was waiting for but never had. I was convinced I would be overdue but I wasn't .

Basically I was just pregnant with nothing, no cramps, braxton hicks etc and then whoosh my waters broke and contractions started straight away about 3 mins apart.

VintageRainBoots Sat 03-Nov-12 06:08:39

My labour was so unlabour-like that I wasn't convinced that I was even in labour. My MIL thought otherwise and insisted that Hubby take me to the emergency department at the hospital.

In my case, my contractions were very irregular and I felt discomfort but no real pain (I think I chose a 2 or 3 out of 10 on the pain chart), so the nurse who triaged me didn't think I was in labour, either. However, the hospital's policy is to manually check all pregnant women before discharging them, and they checked me, too. It turns out I was 4cm dilated and most definitely going to have a baby (despite irregular contractions and less pain than most women complain of).

I walked around the labour and delivery department for a while (hours maybe? The time really does fly when you're going to have a baby). The contractions got stronger and more painful, but they were certainly manageable without pain relief, I thought, until about 8cm or so. At 8cm, the midwife came to check on me---she lay me down on a bed to check out everything---but I was physically unable to get off the bed. The contractions were close enough together that there wasn't enough of a break between them for me to get off my back and back onto my feet, so I was stuck in bed from there on out sad. Once you're on your back, the pain is AMPLIFIED! At that point, you want pain relief.

So, my only piece of advice: walk as much as possible. It will 1) make the time go by faster; 2) make labour go by faster (gravity works wonders to move the baby into position for birth); 3) reduces pain.

Best of luck.

papooshka Sat 03-Nov-12 07:39:36

Had no niggles at all, went to bed one night at 41 weeks and I felt a big pop and my waters went. Contractions started but it was like bad period pain and I just wanted to sit on the loo as felt like pooing but nothing came. Contractions got worse and more frequent, managed 5 hours and then had an epidural, bliss!!

kittykatskumkwat Sat 03-Nov-12 07:48:42

37 wks, no signs no niggles, just went to bed and woke up at 1:30 thinking have I just wet myself?! Contractions started in the next hour

Clarella Sat 03-Nov-12 09:08:07

So, no niggles means not safe then! Better get the aqua pad on the bed today smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now