Talk

Advanced search

Why can I only have Gaviscon/Rennies...?

(16 Posts)
WhatsTheBuzz Fri 02-Nov-12 14:06:17

I get bad heartburn frequently (34weeks) and have been advised by pharmacist that I can't really take anything other than Gaviscon or Rennies. I've seen other stuff that looks even better but packaging tells me to seek medical advice before taking... What are the risks??! sad

EdsRedeemingQualities Fri 02-Nov-12 14:14:54

Can you tell us what the other stuff is? Maybe someone will know/have experience.

I'm interested to know if there's something better out there smile

Iggly Fri 02-Nov-12 14:16:18

Cool peppermint tea is a winner.

Also avoid large meals, getting an empty tummy, acidic or fatty foods in large amounts.

singwhenyourwinning Fri 02-Nov-12 14:20:02

You can take stronger medication such as ranitidine (been around longer so more experience in pregnancy) or omeprazole but they will have to be prescribed as pharmacist has to sell I'm line with the license for the product. Best bet is to see your gp.

singwhenyourwinning Fri 02-Nov-12 14:21:05

To clarify - ranitidine around longer than omeprazole

lightrain Fri 02-Nov-12 14:23:29

You can buy Zantac over the counter, no? That's ranitidine.

EdsRedeemingQualities Fri 02-Nov-12 14:24:29

I think she might mean a pharmacist isn't allowed to sell it to you if you're pregnant?

WhatsTheBuzz Fri 02-Nov-12 14:28:43

I don't think they are allowed to, maybe GP would be the best bet. Anything to stop me whinging. I wonder why it's really bad in some pregnancies and not others. I hardly had any during last pregnancy confused

ALittleBitOfMagic Fri 02-Nov-12 14:35:48

I got peptic on prescription I didn't even need to see the gp I just asked the receptionist to ask the dr to leave me a prescription .

fivelittlebunnies Fri 02-Nov-12 14:48:09

Ranitidine is about £5 for box if 12 so you might as well get them on free prescription if pregnant. I took every day for second half if last preg and baby turned out ok so far. GP happy to prescribe if needed.

Gingerbreadlatte Fri 02-Nov-12 15:02:08

Also Dr can prescribed ranitidine in stronger tabs. Mine are 150mg each and the OTC Zantac ones are only 75mg.

BTW, if you do buy your own Zantac, Sains own version is the same but much much cheaper at a £1 a box for 12 tabs! Couldnt believe it when I just saw it today

HB is totally awful, my complete sympathy.

Secondsop Fri 02-Nov-12 20:56:08

Not a medical thing, but at my NCT class today the leader recommended refresher or love heart sweets. I've also heard that Horlicks is good.

skyebluezombie Fri 02-Nov-12 21:00:31

I was prescribed massive bottles of Gaviscon by the midwife when I was pregant, so have a chat with her. Dont pay for it over the counter.

cakelover75 Fri 02-Nov-12 21:56:45

i ended up seeing my GP about heartburn as I couldn't sleep because of it, couldn't drink anything which in turn gave me constipation etc, you get the picture - it was grim. The DR prescribed me zantac and the symptoms went and everything is as it should be.

I keep telling everyone about this as although heartburn is very common in pregnancy, if it gets really bad then it can be treated sooo easily. No point in being a martyr about it. Hope that helps.

Runningblue Fri 02-Nov-12 22:19:47

You can buy ranitidine from Asda for about £2 a packet. Ivebeen given the go ahead to take that (and Zantac its brand name) from my gp.
It's marvellous!

TheDetective Fri 02-Nov-12 22:34:31

Ranitidine (or Zantac) is your friend!

Get it on prescription from GP, or buy the half dose over the counter.

I ran out of prescription, so bought some over the counter 3 weeks ago, I was 37 weeks, and bought it with no problem!

I only need 150mg once a day, sometimes not even once a day now! It is almost instant grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now