Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

confused about chemicals during pregnancy...

(13 Posts)
ditsydoll Fri 02-Nov-12 09:53:34

Ok so I know dying your hair etc isn't advised during pregnancy but some other articles reccomening not using other chemicals such as salicylic acid (used in acne meds, cleansers and toners etc) but how about benzyl salicylate? This is found in hair conditioners, foundations and other beauty products. It's a chemical that is part of salicylic acid that are shown not to be safe, its also in the new cussons mum and me pregnancy conditioner.

Anyone know if its safe?

ditsydoll Fri 02-Nov-12 09:55:25

http://www.babycenter.com/0_safe-skin-care-during-pregnancy_1490031.bc

This shows some unsafe products

cheesesavory Fri 02-Nov-12 11:27:41

I think dying your hair is fine?

weeblueberry Fri 02-Nov-12 11:31:42

If it's in a Mum and Me Pregnancy conditioner....I'd just assume it was safe to be honest?

ditsydoll Fri 02-Nov-12 16:30:15

Yeah well you'd assume so but there is research to show that it may just not be safe as its not really tested during pregnancy. I'm probably being over cautious but I do think it should be clear as to what can be used during pregnancy as there aren't really any official guidelines like there are with food.

vodkaanddietirnbru Fri 02-Nov-12 16:44:52

its fine to dye your hair while pregnant. Shampoos, conditioners get washed away so I wouldnt worry about them either. I used all my usual products when pregnant and had no issues.

mrsbugsywugsy Fri 02-Nov-12 16:59:46

I think you could drive yourself mad worrying about every single chemical you come into contact with. Nothing is 'tested' for use in pregnancy because they wouldn't be able to get ethical approval for the trials. But if it's a common household chemical which is used by millions of pregnant women every year, then the risks would almost certainly be known.

Just avoid the things which are known to be harmful (smoking, excessive drinking) and try to relax smile

If you don't want to use chemicals on your hair why not try henna?

Paradisefound Fri 02-Nov-12 17:36:12

I have decided not to dye my hair while pregnant, I have also stopped using some of my skin care products as the info that came in the box with them advises not to use during pregnancy.

ClaireL90 Sat 25-Feb-17 16:04:01

What about hair waxes etc?

SquedgieBeckenheim Sat 25-Feb-17 16:10:30

You will find very little that has been scientifically proven to be safe in pregnancy as ethically they cannot do trials on pregnant women.
If a product is designed to be used by pregnant women, it will be deemed as safe as it can be using the knowledge at the time.
Please try not to worry about every chemical, you'll drive yourself mad with anxiety.
The best thing you can do is stick to products that have been around a long time and/or designed for use in pregnancy, and use sensible precautions (open windows if using cleaning products etc.)

ClaireL90 Sat 25-Feb-17 16:17:11

I think there's nothing well known about hair waxes and or other beauty products to make any difference really. As long as you don't slather yourself with it

ClaireL90 Sat 25-Feb-17 16:17:37

Or use sparingly

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Sat 25-Feb-17 16:18:20

Unless you sit in a cupboard sniffing or drinking such stuff I wouldn't be too concerned. ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now