Talk

Advanced search

Bras -- get out your crystal balls please!

(7 Posts)
Splinters Thu 01-Nov-12 17:31:33

I'm 23+5 and suddenly grown out of the one-size-larger-than-usual bras that have got me through so far. A while ago I saw a poster say that had she thought of it, she'd have bought feeding bras at a similar point, instead of getting new bras now and then more new bras near the birth. But won't my breasts grow hugely again once the milk comes in?

Not really sure what to do as I haven't got loads of money to spare at the moment.. Do you often grow more towards the end of pregnancy than at the beginning? How long will I stay this size? How many should I get now (and where's good? I've just ceased to be a 36C). Thanks!

lollypopsicle Thu 01-Nov-12 17:57:02

I imagine everyone varies but last time I went from a C to DD during pregnancy then to an E once breast feeding. They went back to C when i stopped feeding (which I was most relieved about!).

Last time, in later pg, I bought a few cheap ones from primark knowing it would be a temporary measure. I did not fit these bras once my milk came in so to get feeding bras would not have helped me.

lollypopsicle Thu 01-Nov-12 17:58:21

Also, I lost a lot of the baby weight once baby was born so my back size reduced while cup size increased.

EdsRedeemingQualities Thu 01-Nov-12 18:02:02

Mine got enormous during the first 20 weeks as I put on most weight then (about 10kg) but then they sort of stopped, I'm 30 weeks now and still the same boob size as then.

It depends, I think everyone's different. I've gone up from a 36B to a C, using a 38C actually, because bump is making things wider all round.

Isandri Thu 01-Nov-12 20:42:01

Irecommend buying some cheapish but still supportive bras. I started out as a 30d, then at 20-24 weeks I was a 30e/32dd. I'm now almost 39 weeks and am waiting for feeding bras to arrive. I think I'm now a 30ff or 30g but I could be another cup size bigger.

ItsMyLastOne Thu 01-Nov-12 21:16:28

Pre pregnancy I was a 28E and at 35+3 I'm currently a 32F. If I'd bought nursing bras at 24 weeks I'd be bursting out of them by the time my milk comes in!

I've just been buying plain bras so that I have two that fit at any time. Nursing bras aren't a major necessity as you can just pull down the cup of your bra if you choose the right style, then you don't need to guess at your post pregnancy bra size at all. Just get measured after the baby's born and buy nursing bras then if you want them.

Just make any bras you buy fit properly. DO NOT fall into the trap of believing you need to add 4/5" to get your back size. That stopped being necessary about 20 years ago and yet the majority of shops still do it. <sigh>

Clarella Fri 02-Nov-12 13:50:46

Have to say I lazily bought a medium but actually quite good support sports bra near the start of pregnancy, knowing its the sort of thing id wear I'm the future for yoga etc to tide me over for a bit and its been my fave thing, I found another bra I already had ok so slattern that I am stuck with them - now 36 wks (they're bigger again now) and thought I'd just go onto bf bra but then discovered that's not as straight forward as I thought! It's so comfortable and actually very supportive - was a thick mostly cotton vest top type from m and s but sadly they don't do any more and I kicked myself for not getting any others. I imagine its the sort of thing women who've had breast enhancements might get.

I've got a couple of bf bras in waiting with receipt but reckon ill have to wait and see and tbh wouldn't be surprised if I use this too. It's stretchiness but great support is the key I'm finding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now