Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Severe stomach bug at 17 weeks...

(8 Posts)
LuckyOwl28 Thu 01-Nov-12 14:49:57

Everything I've read online seems to suggest that the baby should be well protected, but I'm worried about how much my stomach was straining. I have kept as hydrated as possible and started to feel better today, but was being violently sick and diarrhoea every hour for 14 hours.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Poor little thing hope he/she's OK in there sad I haven't made a Doctors appt as everything online seems to suggest 'it happens, it will be fine'

ALittleBitOfMagic Thu 01-Nov-12 14:51:47

I managed to catch two stomach bugs during this pregnancy sad nhs 24 said baby will be fine . If you want some reassurance just give them a call they will be happy to put your mind at ease . Feel better smile

PoppadomPreach Thu 01-Nov-12 14:53:18

Don't worry! I had the vomiting bug when I was around 10 weeks with DC2. I know EXACTLY what you mean re the straining but it's ok. Your little one is well protected inside.

Keeping as hydrated as swivel is best thing. Also avoid dairy products as they irritate your stomach lining. I can't remember if diarolyte is ok to take in pregnancy but if so, then maybe take that.

Hope you feel better soon

Ps I didn't feel like eating but clearly needed to eat. I found that Kendal mint cake was brilliant (basically sugar and mint bars you get from holland and Barrett)

LuckyOwl28 Thu 01-Nov-12 15:04:35

Thanks ladies, think I just needed extra reassurance from people who have had similar experiences. I also couldn't understand why we are warned against eating certain products as it can harm the baby, but a stomach bug can't get through. Biology was never my subject!

Thanks again xx

PoppadomPreach Thu 01-Nov-12 15:28:01

I think the not eating some things is quite valid though. Eg unpasteurised cheese can have listeria which is a bacteria that can affect the baby - so don't get complacent and ignore the "rules"!! <stern teacher look> wink

But don't worry about a "bog standard (!)" bug!!

LuckyOwl28 Thu 01-Nov-12 16:04:28

Oh no I don't intend to have a pate binge, don't worry Mum lol wink

confused247 Thu 01-Nov-12 16:35:42

It's horrible, isn't it? I know exactly what you mean about the worry - I've just recovered from a nasty tummy bug myself (am 20 weeks pg). I called my doctor and he reassured me that the baby is really well protected from these things so try not to worry.

The worst thing for me was that I slipped and fell down the stairs while I was running to the loo. Luckily I managed to break the fall with my hands and arms (which are now black and blue - ouch) but I was terrified in case I had hurt the baby. My midwife assures me though that it is well cushioned in there and as I've had no pain or bleeding since and everything else seems normal it will be fine. So am trying not to worry though that is easier said than done! I have my 20 week scan on Monday so will get proper reassurance then - phew.

Hope you are getting better now. My doc told me not to worry about not eating for as long as you don't feel like it but make sure to stay well hydrated (I found peppermint tea the easiest thing to drink).

DigestivesWithCheese Thu 01-Nov-12 16:56:02

It is important to stay hydrated - it sounds like you managed that anyway though. I had a severe vomiting bug at 15 weeks & saw the midwife to checked over. She told me that if I wasn't keeping anything down later in the afternoon to go to hospital and be put on a drip. I just managed to keep sips of water down later in the day so I didn't go to the hospital.

A couple of weeks later I became very short of breath, and to cut a long story short, it turned our I had several blood clots in my lungs. It was pretty scary! I knew that pregnant women are at much higher risk of clots , but I had no risk factors apart from pregnancy - I kept looking back at a flight I'd taken earlier in my pregnancy and thinking "that MUST have been when I got the clots, I should have worn special socks on the flight".

However, when I eventually saw the obstretrican and heamotologist, they felt the flight was too long before to be relevant. But when my OB saw the notes about the sickness bug in my maternity record, she was questioning me about that and said it was a risk factor for clots. The heamotologist agreed & said they he thought a combination of pregnancy and the severe sickness bug had probably caused the first clots. He said that if I'd gone to the hospital that day then I would have been given an injection of blood thinner to protect me as that is part of the protocol did pregnant women now.

I was so shocked, as I thought the only real risk from dehydration was to the baby. Anyway, I'm sure you are fine as clots are very unlikely anyway - but I just wish I'd known that before because if I had, obviously I'd have gone to hospital. For women with other existing risk factors, it may be more relevant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now