Talk

Advanced search

Itching!

(11 Posts)
TheCountessOlenska Thu 01-Nov-12 10:13:21

I'm really itchy all over - like a really prickly nervous itch iykwim!

It started with my head a few days ago but now it's everywhere . . feel like an idiot now because I didn't mention it to the midwife but I'm worried now I have that liver disorder?? Obstetric Cholitus or something?

Could it just be a weird pregnancy symptom though? I wouldn't say it's severe just irritating. I'm also wondering if it's partly in my head as it doesn't wake me up at night or anything

ZuleikaD Thu 01-Nov-12 10:17:36

Is it dry-skin type itching?

MardyBra Thu 01-Nov-12 10:24:06

it could be a liver disorder. A friend of mine had this

MardyBra Thu 01-Nov-12 10:25:15

Worth getting checked out Countess. My friend was induced early.

TheCountessOlenska Thu 01-Nov-12 10:29:51

Thanks for the link Mardy. It doesn't seem likely as it's not at night, not on my hands and feet, don't have any of the other symptoms, didn't have it last time, no family history etc.

On the other hand - I can't think what could be causing it! Maybe I will ring midwife then.

PickledFanjoCat Thu 01-Nov-12 10:31:00

Itching - worth getting checked out..

I'd call her.

KTJane1 Thu 01-Nov-12 10:50:19

Your not alone I've have been itching for the past few days but had it with my first pregnancy and was just dry skin so wasn't too concerned but its always worth checking. Dry skin during pregnancy can cause itching you also can become sensitive to products you've used for years. I was about to call the midwife today but it seems to be settling. I've stopped taking baths and just taken showers using Aquas cream as a cleanser and then moisturizing my skin as many times as possible and wearing cool cotton fabrics, also use non bio to wash clothes and only gently products on your skin. I have developed a reaction to a lot of products since being pregnant, even ones aimed at pregnant women.....happy days...but if it doesn't clear best to get it checked for peace of mind.

Bayliss1 Thu 01-Nov-12 10:50:54

I suffer from itchy skin whilst pregnant! It comes and goes. I'm now pregnant with dc2 and had the same with dd1. Had a number of blood tests but it seems my body just reacts to pregnancy hormones and makes me itch!!! You should get checked though x

NotChristmasCarol Thu 01-Nov-12 13:02:36

To add to what others have said, pls do get it checked out. I had obstetric cholestasis with DD1 and never had itchy hands or feet. I just mentioned the itching in passing to my doctor and he sent me for the blood tests (they check your bile acids, IIRC).

I had no other symptoms, no family history, I didn't tick any of the risk boxes.

But it turned out that I did have OC and DD1 ended up being delivered at about 36 weeks plus 4 as there is (without wanting to sound alarmist) an increased risk of stillbirth after 36 weeks with OC. It's worth getting checked- it's just a simple blood test and you get the result pretty quickly.

TheCountessOlenska Thu 01-Nov-12 14:56:00

Thanks NotChristmasCarol, I will get checked out.

Can they do anything to treat it or is it a case of having to be induced nearer the time?

Am only 20 weeks.

NotChristmasCarol Thu 01-Nov-12 15:31:34

Countess I'm not sure about treatment. From memory, I was around 32 weeks when it developed and, once diagnosed, I had to go to the hospital every 48 hours for fetal monitoring - where they put a band around your bump and get a tracer of the heart rate over around 30 mins or so. They did the monitoring ever day from around 35 weeks and then made a call on induction (ELCS in DD1's case, as she was a footling breech) once we got to the 36 week mark.

While I never expected to have OC, it is so rare and there's such a high chance you don't have it, but it will put your mind at ease to know. Also, while very far from being knowledgeable, I'm sure OC develops later in pregnancy so hopefully it's just one of the many other inexplicable "joys" of pregnancy. Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now