Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Spd in pregnancy

(10 Posts)
JupiterJoy Wed 31-Oct-12 23:13:58

Have you had spd in previous pregnancies and it came back in another pregnancy? When did it come back ?
I'm 12 weeks and am experiencing significant pain low down, I'm thinking possible spd starting, or uti or stretching.

gussiegrips Wed 31-Oct-12 23:16:40

Yes, and yes, but not so bad second time around. You being referred for an assessment and that weird strap thing or crutches?

Sympathies - it's a total bugger

aufaniae Wed 31-Oct-12 23:22:33

I had it in my last pregnancy, I think it started somewhere around 4 or 5 months. This time it started at about 10 or 11 weeks!

Spoke to the midwife about it today. She said if you get it, then you'll probably get it in the next pregnancy, but earlier on, and earlier still for the next one.

DoIgetastickerforthat Wed 31-Oct-12 23:35:57

Bad in my first pregnancy, worse in the second which got so bad AFTER delivery I couldn't lie flat for six weeks due to the pain and ensuing numbness. Saw an osteopath who realigned my pelvis and have had very little pain with 2 subsequent pregnancies (although I've got 10 weeks left of this one to go, so not counting my chickens just yet).

There are quite a few osteopaths that are trained to work with pregnant women. Might be worth considering.

confuddledDOTcom Thu 01-Nov-12 00:02:02

I've had it (more SI though) for 7 years, no break. It picks up each pregnancy, usually quite a reliable pregnancy test.

JupiterJoy Thu 01-Nov-12 09:18:49

I already have a lot of spinal problems and use a wheelchair.

Mummyof3tobe Thu 01-Nov-12 09:53:24

Yep I've had it in all 3 pregnancies and started earlier each time. BUT I would say so far this third time it is not so bad.

My theory is that first pg I was sitting a lot in an office based job which made it worse, second pg I was doing lots of lifting and bending with an 18 mth old to also care for. This time I think I know better what to avoid. I've kept exercising throughout, lots of stretches for tight hip flexors and moving little and often (i.e. no long walks, but trying not to sit for long either). I also started seeing an osteo as soon as symptoms started, but only once every 2-3 weeks.

It has recently got a bit worse, but I'm now 34 weeks so probably due to the sheer weight now!

Good luck, it is miserable.

MrsPaynie Thu 01-Nov-12 10:41:49

I'm one afraid to say mine came back horrifically this time :-( third pregnancy and definitely the worst. This time I've had it from about 16 weeks and using crutches from arou d 18 weeks. I'm now 36 weeks and house bound completely on bedrest. I spent a week at 34 weeks hospitalised for pain management and tests to assess the state of my pelvis. Luckily I was allowed home on strict rest and they are inducing me a week today at37 weeks exactly, thank goodness. I wish you all the best. Take all the pain relief you need and rest as much as you can.

weeblueberry Thu 01-Nov-12 11:53:49

Cripes! Don't say it starts earlier in each pregnancy - mine is pretty damn sore and I'm only 12 weeks! sad

confuddledDOTcom Thu 01-Nov-12 15:48:25

weeblueberry I don't get the normal pregnancy symptoms, instead of running to the bathroom being my first sign, mine is the intense pain in my SI's!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now