Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Things you haven't used

(11 Posts)
Wildwaterfalls Wed 31-Oct-12 19:53:01

Hi all

Thought it might be useful to start a thread here on useless baby purchases.. Everyone is different I guess but 10 weeks into life with new baby we have not used

- the top en tail bowl - used a normal little bowl and moved onto baths very quickly
- the ridiculous amount of plain white sleep suits/babygrows we bought: we were given and bought so many clothes which were much cuter

Real recommendations, on the other hand, are lansinoh (sp?) nipple cream, night bras and breast pads for leaking, the baby gym, and dream sheep / other toy that makes sounds to help settle.

Hope this is helpful to someone smile

mameulah Wed 31-Oct-12 20:11:08

I appreciate it, thank you!

Badgerina Wed 31-Oct-12 21:45:05

With DS1 I bought and didn't use:

Top and tail bowl (used one of those split Sistema boxes instead)
Baby bath (I LOVED bathing with him instead)
Cot (cosleeping became a way of life smile )

Vital things:

- Stretchy wrap sling (Moby)
- Huge, swaddling muslin
- Cheeky Wipes (washable wipe kit)
- Bravado Body Silk nursing bras
- Little Lambs washable breast pads
- Lansinoh nipple cream
- L'Occitane Mum and Baby Balm (a gorgeous treat for soft baby skin and MUCH nicer than the olive oil that midwives recommend)
- Cuddledry towel

Jakeyblueblue Wed 31-Oct-12 22:56:30

Cot smile

ScabbyColdCrustyCatPuss Thu 01-Nov-12 00:27:10

Cotton wool. I still have 3 rolls, 16 years on!

Jakeyblueblue Thu 01-Nov-12 02:23:06

Yes and cotton wool. grin

ScabbyColdCrustyCatPuss Thu 01-Nov-12 03:02:56

grin

VintageRainBoots Thu 01-Nov-12 03:35:09

Many friends and family bought clothes for our daughter anticipating that she would be an average-sized baby (e.g., she'd wear 0-3 month clothes during autumn, 3-6 month clothes during winter, 6-9 month clothes in spring, etc.). Well, she grew much faster than expected, and NOTHING FIT! We ended up having to buy new clothes each season. Such a waste of money.

growyourown77 Thu 01-Nov-12 07:07:27

As someone 15 weeks pregnant with my first this is a great thread...keep the reality checks coming ladies!

debbie1412 Thu 01-Nov-12 07:31:19

Baby oil. 1 bottle will last forever.
Top and tail.
Baby bath (now washing basket)
Any new born clothes
Bottle warmer (jug and kettle works better)
Lots more il add later.

emmyloo2 Thu 01-Nov-12 07:44:05

Never used cotton wool. I think we still have some from 2 years ago. Definitely don't need a bottle warmer - just pour hot water into a jug and warm it that way.

What was essential was the Tommee Tippee nappy bin. we still use it 2 years on. Bloody marvellous thing. Also great was the Baby Bjorn bouncy chair and stretchy swaddles. Our son still has his stretchy soft swaddles which are now his "blankies" that he takes to bed.

I actually definitely used a baby bath but the best one was a Fisher Price one (got it in Australia not sure if they are in the UK) which had a little hammock for when the baby is little, then a little seat thing and then you can remove it all when they get bigger. I bathed my son in that until he was about 1!!

For you essentials are breast pads (best ones were the Boots washable pads), the Boots maternity mats for hospital when you are bleeding and when you come home after you have had a shower because you do bleed a lot after birth. Plus lots of comfortable black cotton underpants.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now