Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Lifting in pregnancy- how heavy is too heavy?

(13 Posts)
fidol Wed 31-Oct-12 15:48:36

Just that basically, I'm ten weeks and my job involves lifting stock from my car to a shop, I can use a 2wheel trolley but still have to humpf that up kerbs/steps etc. the heaviest single item is 13kg which my DH thinks is too heavy for me to even move from car to trolley.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

tasfi26 Wed 31-Oct-12 15:49:50

I shall be watching this...I'm early in my pregnancy too and was confused about the same thing......

Dogsmom Wed 31-Oct-12 15:57:17

I work with dogs and regularly lift ones up to 30kg-ish, I checked with my midwife and she said it was fine and that it wont harm the baby but just become more awkward as I get bigger and to make sure I lift properly etc.

Boop33 Wed 31-Oct-12 15:58:35

I would say that's too heavy ..............i wouldn't carry it anyway . Does your work know that you are pregnant yet ? xx

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Wed 31-Oct-12 16:21:17

Well, if you had a toddler you would have to lift them. Mine weighs about 15kg, although I admit I am avoiding it where possible. It won't harm the baby whatever, it's just that you are more likely to pull a muscle.

CityDweller Wed 31-Oct-12 16:24:18

What fruit said. It's more about harm to you than baby, ie straining something. If you have done said lifting regularly prior to preg I think you should be fine to continue, just listen to your body and be careful to use good form. I know of people who continued lifting weights throughout pregnancy with no ill effects (do a google search on 'Crossfit pregnant' if you want to see what I mean).

Isandri Wed 31-Oct-12 17:41:46

I had ivf, icsi actually and developed severe ovarian hystimulation syndrome. I was told nothing over 6kg but it took 3-4 months for all the cysts on my ovaries to shrink.

fidol Sat 03-Nov-12 00:33:04

Thanks, Boob no haven't told work but off next week then 12 week scan so telling them then.
I've been avoiding lifting as much as possible and customers have been helping, except today when one wouldn't stop eating his sandwich!! angry
Glad to hear its me that would get injured (iykwim).

panicnotanymore Sat 03-Nov-12 07:45:43

If you are used to lifting, and trained to lift properly I think it is ok to continue provided you are careful not to put strain on your back or stomach muscles. The further along you are the greater the risk of back strain or stomach muscle separation.

charllie Sat 03-Nov-12 17:53:28

I've read (can't remember where now) that if its what you done before becoming pregnant then its fine. If its lifting something new/different to what you would normally then maybe not. But also, go with what you feel! I work with children, aged 2 and I'm still lifting them up to do nappies etc.

halloweeneyqueeney Sat 03-Nov-12 18:09:50

remember that the risk with lifting is that (particularly in early weeks) you have more relaxin so are more likely to be injured, which IMO means if it is an activity you regularly do (so are strong enough) and listen to any pain indicators you might get, you'll be fine

I do a lot of lifting at work, and lift a massive lazy pre-schooler

first pregnancy I went OTT with not lifting ANYTHING that I got a bit weak and ended up with back pain when I had a newborn to lug around all day!

don't worry, don't do anything that's hurting you, but carry on doing what you normally do

halloweeneyqueeney Sat 03-Nov-12 18:10:44

it tends to be people who do something that's not a usual activity, like say moving house/furniture, who end up "over doing it" IYKWIM.

BartletForTeamGB Sat 03-Nov-12 18:46:42

My toddler is 13kg and needs carried around at times. I don't think there is any reason not to do lifting, as long as you do it sensibly and carefully as you should be whether you are pregnant or not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now