Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Difference between 8 and 12 weeks scans.

(7 Posts)
ExpatMamaToBe Wed 31-Oct-12 12:34:20

Hi, I went to the hospital today to sign up for my 1st scan, expected a long waiting list. Instead, they booked me for next Tue (8 weeks). Now I keep wondering whether I should wait a few more weeks until I'm 12? Will there be so much difference in what the doctor can see? 1st pg and we're abroad so not sure what to do. Thanks in advance for your comments smile

Ellypoo Wed 31-Oct-12 12:39:46

I got an early scan at 8 weeks - baby was just a little bean, but you could see the heartbeat. I got a normal dating scan at 12 weeks which dated me 5 days ahead of the 8 week one, because it's not easy to measure for dates at 8 weeks.

Also, if you are having the nuchal fold test for downs, they have to do this between 11 - 13 weeks.

LeBFG Wed 31-Oct-12 13:17:44

I've now had two lots of 8 and 12 week scans. I thought the opposite Ellypoo - they like to see you at 7/8 weeks because dating is more accurate. This last one I had gave the date of conception exactly the day I was sure I ovulated. Pretty precise!

cece Wed 31-Oct-12 13:23:09

8 week scan looks like a kidney bean with a fluttery heart.

12 week scan looks baby shaped. Plus they can do nuchal fold measurements if you want those done.

WendyWillow Wed 31-Oct-12 13:48:34

If you have an 8 week you would normally also have a 12 week scan as so much happens in between and there are things that they can't check on the 8 week scan as it is so early. Is there any guidance on what is normal where you are with regard to midwife appointments and scans?

ExpatMamaToBe Wed 31-Oct-12 14:36:44

Thank you all so much. Wendy I'm in Italy, 1st scan is due "before 13th week" - this is why I thought they'd schedule it for later.

Can there be any harm to the baby if I have a scan at 8 weeks and then again at 12?

Ellypoo Wed 31-Oct-12 14:45:53

No harm to baby from ultrasounds that they have discovered. I have already had 3 (am 13 wks) and am intending to have quite a few more over the course of this pregnancy due to serious issues last time, so more for reassurance than anything else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now