Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

mumps outbreak at my place of work

(8 Posts)
KMR281 Wed 31-Oct-12 12:05:33

hi, just found out today that there is a confirmed (smallish) outbreak of mumps where I work. I work at a university, and the confirmed cases are all students - I'm staff, and don't really mix with undergrads as part of my work, but clearly mix in a more general way in the shops and cafes etc. They are offering STUDENTS only immunization - should I get it too? I'm 31 weeks, and have had all my immunizations up to date (but am 39, so perhaps many have worn off by now?). Good lord, if it's not whooping cough, it's mumps. Gaaa. GP is shut for lunch, so will call them later aswell.

KMR281 Wed 31-Oct-12 12:18:39

ah, a bit of time with Mr Google, and have I perhaps answered my question:
see NHS Mumps info you can't have the jab when pregnant, as it's a live vaccine. I probably should find out if I have previously been vaccinated. Seems staying off work would be ridiculous, and infection occurs before symptoms anyway. Will call GP and my mum to see if got that jab when was little. Not sure if was offered way back then!

ladymia Wed 31-Oct-12 12:50:59

How many weeks are you now? At my booking in appointment at 8 weeks they did blood tests (these were discussed at the 16 week scan with me) As part of those blood tests they check if you are rubella immune. The MMR vaccine is given to prevent that which also includes the vaccine to prevent mumps and measles.

KMR281 Wed 31-Oct-12 13:11:43

well, I'm 31 weeks now. Sure have had all childhood immunizations, and that am reubella immune (this is third pregnancy, so surely would have been picked up by now if I wasn't). I am just not sure if when I was little (early 1970s), mumps was part of the normal vaccination programme, I guess it will have been?

I'll have a squint at my maternity notes tonight and see if it details what bloods were done early on, good thinking!

ladymia Wed 31-Oct-12 13:20:31

It's definitely in your maternity notes. There is a section on bloods

panicnotanymore Wed 31-Oct-12 13:27:23

I'm 39 too, and I'm pretty sure I've never been vaccinated against mumps. I remember girls only getting a separate rubella one at 13 from the school nurse. The MMR wasn't around then. I also remember mumps being fairly common at school, so I don't think kids can have been vaccinated.

missnevermind Wed 31-Oct-12 13:36:59

I was born in 1971.
The mumps vaccination was offered at that time but my Mother refused for us to have it, as was common then.
Best person to check with is your Mum.

KMR281 Wed 31-Oct-12 14:41:35

ok, so have now spoken to very nice Occupational Health nurse at my work. Unfortunately there is nothing they can do, as I can't be given the vaccine. However, she did say that they were really targeting 18-25year olds, as that was the age group currently affected. I'm not in the group (and haven't been for a while!). If there is still an outbreak after I've had baby, I could get immunized I guess. will still check with Mum if I got a mumps jab tho.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now