Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is there anything else, other than Fybogel, which works and is safe to take in PG?

(24 Posts)
RightUpMyRue Wed 31-Oct-12 09:30:34

So not enjoying this aspect of pregnancy sad

sailorsgal Wed 31-Oct-12 19:40:02

Is that for constipation I presume? I was prescribed Lactulose which is revolting. Not sure if you can take lepicol which is available in health food shops. Will try to find out fo you. smile

PseudoBadger Wed 31-Oct-12 19:41:27

I have an unopened bottle of Lactulose that I was given after my C Section. So far this time I'm nearly 8wks and am very tempted to use it - but scared!

MrsDonaldDraper Wed 31-Oct-12 19:43:59

I bought lactulose but have been eating dried apricots and so far avoided having to take any!

sailorsgal Wed 31-Oct-12 19:48:31

Can I also suggest that you put your feet up on a stool when you go for a poo. It really works. Saw it on embarassing bodies programme. grin

PseudoBadger Wed 31-Oct-12 19:51:52

My dentist hates it when I eat those MrsDonald - I might have to resort to it though.

RightUpMyRue Wed 31-Oct-12 19:54:48

I have, in the past, sampled latulose. It is foul but effective. Fybogel is also foul but then so is not having a poo.

Feet up on a stool un-kinks the curve in the colon. It makes your position more like squatting. Unfortunately it's not helping me much at the mo.

docsarah Wed 31-Oct-12 20:17:09

Prune juice did wonders for me - I also find a good probiotic thingy helped too.

squidgeberry Wed 31-Oct-12 20:30:44

I've been drinking Badoit mineral water, a couple of glasses a day seems to work wonders. Apparently it is due to the high magnesium content.

Jollyb Wed 31-Oct-12 20:35:35

Syrup of figs

RarelyUnreasonable Wed 31-Oct-12 20:38:29

Glycerol suppositories. They work VERY quickly!

thedicewoman Wed 31-Oct-12 20:38:53

Prune juice here too, works a treat

sailorsgal Wed 31-Oct-12 20:59:58

Lepicol is fine to take in pregnancy.

marriedinwhite Wed 31-Oct-12 21:08:52

I used to take the fybogel in orange juice - that made it more palatable. Plenty of water, plenty of fruit, bran, other fibre. You'll be more comfy but combined with the fybogel not many will stay around long enough to show they care - words of wisdom there - just keep glaring at the dog or cat grin.

It is awful though OP, I do remember and wish I'd asked for something stronger.

thing1andthing2 Wed 31-Oct-12 21:11:24

I took movicol throughout pregnancy and had a healthy baby boy. Not sure if there's much evidence whether its safe or not so may not be prescribed by all doctors. Lactulose did nothing for me.

Beamur Wed 31-Oct-12 21:12:46

Stir your Lactulose into a glass of orange juice - you won't taste it, it will just make the juice seem a bit sweeter than usual.

Beamur Wed 31-Oct-12 21:13:10

You have to take Lactulose over several days for it to work.

HermioneE Wed 31-Oct-12 21:13:35

Lots of water as well as whatever the high-fibre stuff is. I always forget that bit and wonder why the fecking endless apricots haven't made a difference.

JollyJackOLantern Wed 31-Oct-12 21:15:34

Prune juice is utterly grim. But it works. I find prunes to be much tastier than the juice. I also find tesco's decaf coffee works wonders for me!

I disagree with fybogel because it involves artificial sweetners.

dreamingbohemian Wed 31-Oct-12 21:18:25

I ate probiotic yogurt every morning -- I had morning sickness for 9 months and it was one of the only things that didn't make me sick -- and I wasn't constipated once, even when I took iron tablets for a bit.

bangersmashandbeans Wed 31-Oct-12 21:21:14

An entire bag/punnet of grapes is my best tip. Gives you a bit of tummy ache but that soon turns into something productive! A couple of tubes of sugar free polos also works wonders! Having had IBS for 15 years I have tried many over the counter fibre supplements and to be honest if you're really bunged up they won't work. Think they are more preventative than cure.

LadyWidmerpool Wed 31-Oct-12 21:26:44

Put the lactulose in prune or orange juice, it's more palatable.

RightUpMyRue Wed 31-Oct-12 21:30:47

Some of these remedies sound a lot more appealing than others.

I did try those yakult drink things when they first came out but stopped because they gave me the raging trots. They may be a palatable way of dealing with things before I give the big guns (lactulose etc) a try.

Thank you all lots for caring enough about me having a poo to post, you're all very kind smile

Sossiges Wed 31-Oct-12 21:32:35

Magnesium supplement - I get the tablets from Boots because it's handy. They contain magnesium oxide, I believe something like magnesium citrate would be better, ie more easily absorbed but these do the trick anyway. Take in the evening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now