Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Maternity coats - help!

(24 Posts)
Ellypoo Tue 30-Oct-12 21:34:48

I have spent the last 2 evenings searching online for a nice winter maternity coat that is smart enough for work but not ott for weekends etc.

Saw a nice coat in Next, but 8 weeks delivery time! Can't wait until Christmas for a coat!!
A couple of nice ones in Jojo Maman Bebe but 5 weeks delivery for one, other is out of stock in my size.

Not keen on the one in New Look - any other ideas???

NewNames Tue 30-Oct-12 21:41:50

ASOS?

lurcherlover Tue 30-Oct-12 21:44:43

H&M have some but they are low stock everywhere it seems...I bought the very last one in Manchester today!

issimma Tue 30-Oct-12 21:46:18

I got one from eBay in fab condition as had only been worn for a few months! Will sell it on again when I'm done.

NewNames Tue 30-Oct-12 21:47:24

Just checked ASOS and they have stock smile

eagleray Tue 30-Oct-12 22:01:02

I got a nice wool military-style coat in New Look for a tenner in the sale - they don't sell it any more but have seen plenty on Ebay (would be very easy to search for)

Only problem I have now is that I have an aversion to heat and even today when everyone else was togged up in their winter gear, I didn't even have sleeves on!

WoweeZowee Tue 30-Oct-12 22:16:29

Have you tried non-maternity coats? I got a nice one last winter from New Look which was 3/4 length, kind of fitted up top but flared out over belly (sorry, there's prob a specific name for this style but I don't know!). Had to buy one size larger than my reg size but fitted fine and still fitted well after baby was born in new year . It wasn't expensive either and much easier to shop for than specific maternity one! smile

Mammy2Be Tue 30-Oct-12 22:50:27

I've been searching for the same today. As well as all the above suggestions, Red Herring (Debenhams) have some nice ones. And Seraphine have some currently reduced. I settled on one of them. Should do for work, weekends and Christmas nights out (tame as they'll be this year).

TwitchyTail Tue 30-Oct-12 23:03:45

I got a plain black H&M tie-waist one for £40, which was full price - wool blend, smart and does the job nicely. Agree that a non-maternity one in the right style (eg high waist) would work just as well though.

Arseface Tue 30-Oct-12 23:14:25

Empire line (flaring out from under the bust) normal coats work. I have one from All Saints which I'm using now in my third tri.

Got it 2 seasons ago though when that style was everywhere. Haven't seen many this year.
Does seem like a perfect thing to buy second hand. Most would be hardly worn and not close to the body.

xmasevebundle Tue 30-Oct-12 23:55:49

I bought one sounds similar to PP post, a a wool baileys colour military-type, Its a size 18, i thought at the time id grow into it?

I didnt sad.

Dont really wear coats, get way to hot!

EggsMichelle Wed 31-Oct-12 02:53:56

Asda have a lovely grey non maternity coat in, that fit nicely around my large bump, only £25.

Bumpincharge Wed 31-Oct-12 09:22:58

I got a nice warm coat from yummymummymaternity.co.uk (or .com) they have a nice selection and fast delivery

LauraPalmerPlusOne Wed 31-Oct-12 10:37:41

Got a lovely coat from ASOS - best maternity purchase yet (& it arrived in 2 days!)

Ellypoo Wed 31-Oct-12 12:48:13

Thanks all! I have ordered one from H&M this morning, and got 25% off for signing up to the newsletter, bonus!!

Mammy2Be Wed 31-Oct-12 21:01:49

Ignore my detaining recommendation. It came today (had paid extra for quick delivery). Very thin and just not great quality for the price. Even reduced it was £60. So it's going straight back in the morning.

Zoe106 Wed 31-Oct-12 21:18:24

I couldn't find one either, fed up with ordering online and sending stuff back, and didn't want to pay a fortune when I've so many jackets and coats already. I'm only 5'2" so they're all too long in the sleeve....so for now I've borrowed a poncho from my sister... It's ace obviously not so much in fashion these days (prolly why my sis was more than happy to hand it over ha) but hey good enough for Mrs Beckham!!

carrielou2007 Wed 31-Oct-12 22:05:40

I've bought two, big walkers so school run each day and from jan preschool walk twice a day too. Bought a showerproof 3/4 lengthy purple jacket from Primark blush in a size 14 so bigger and has drawstring waist for expansion grin and bargain price of £9.

Ordered thick black quilted coat from h and m for cold school/preschool walks only 34.99, 23 odd with discount grin

BonaDea Thu 01-Nov-12 10:11:54

Hmm, I'm having this problem too. There is an H&M one I really like but it seems to be out of stock online.

I might actually have to go to the....shops...shock

cakesonatrain Thu 01-Nov-12 13:18:40

Mothercare? The Warrington store had a vast selection of 1 coat, but it's quite nicrme. £60.

cakesonatrain Thu 01-Nov-12 13:19:00

nice, obviously!

PeshwariNaan Thu 01-Nov-12 15:05:30

Honestly, I couldn't be bothered with a maternity coat. Instead I bought a maternity long cardigan from Vertbaudet with a substantial coupon. When it gets properly cold (I'm due in Jan) I can layer it under my regular wool coat to keep my bump warm.

This is the cardigan (it's on sale too!): Vertbaudet Cardigan

I wear it as a coat for now...

There are some coats on EBay but they're hard fought over. ASOS might be a solution.

Graciescotland Thu 01-Nov-12 15:14:23

I bought a regular thin puffer coat thing which is really cosy. I just sized up it has a drawstring so I can tighten it up post baby (november) till I get back to normal. I was also thinking I could probably have baby inside it in a sling. We get snow here so buggy won't always be an option.

SquealyB Thu 01-Nov-12 15:42:27

After much trial and error thanks to some advice on here I bought one from Bon Prix online (did not even know this existed!) which has been just great. Was £70, black wool type coat, mid-length and smart enough for work. Not the most exciting coat in the world but plenty of room for bump.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now