loader

Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone successfully expressed?

(15 Posts)
Nicky1306 Tue 30-Oct-12 19:51:43

Hi,

I am totally confused about expressing!
I could never get anything out with DD (not a substantial amount anyway)

Just looking for advice really, my DP wants to help out with the night feeds (who am I to say no! lol wink )
I also have two hen do's and a wedding to go to when baby will be around 8 weeks old so will need to express if I am going to attend these.

I'm not sure when to start expressing so it doesn't interfere with b/feeding.
And i am also not sure when i express, before a feed/after a feed/in between feeds?

Any help really appreciated

xx

MadameJosephine Tue 30-Oct-12 19:58:56

I actually found I got more milk if I expressed from the other breast during a feed, I suppose it was because the baby was stimulating the 'let down'.

whatchagonna Tue 30-Oct-12 20:39:24

Agree with Madame. I struggled to express inbetween feeds, probably because my body wasn't expecting it (and I had no problem at all with supply: if anything I had too much milk!). But if I pumped whilst also nursing on the other boob I got a lot more.

recall Tue 30-Oct-12 20:44:30

I hired a really strong pump, it got loads more out than nothing that I bought. It was a monster of a thing called Ameda Egnell

recall Tue 30-Oct-12 20:44:44

*anything

recall Tue 30-Oct-12 20:46:05

here

LimeLeafLizard Tue 30-Oct-12 22:20:14

I have a Medela Swing breast pump and used it about twice a week with DC3 until he was about 6 months old. It worked well but was a bit of a faff getting it out, sterilizing etc. - worthwhile for the odd night out though, and DS1's weekly swimming lesson. I intend to use it again the same way this time. Like Madame said, it is def easier to express when bf. DS3 didn't like sharing with his electric twin when he was older though... so then DH just gave him the odd bottle of formula when I went out.

Rockchick1984 Wed 31-Oct-12 09:21:42

Agree that I also got more when expressing at the same time as feeding - also once DS finished a feed I would pump the last bits out of the boob he had come off smile

carrielou2007 Wed 31-Oct-12 09:22:32

I found the medulla swing fab, I used a TT manual one which was bloomin hard work, felt like on a milking machine but far far better with the electric one.

Defo whilst having a feed and first thing I had loads of milk. I expressed at work so was just when dd would have had a feed.

Ds was having none of it though, he took every last drop and I never managed to express anything. I did get a chart think in my Gina Fird book about increasing supply which worked for dd but not ds. He was z bit set when I went back to work dd was 5 months he was 8 so I but the bullet and sent a bottle if formula with him and he wolfed it down.

I think with both it was the bottle they didn't like, not a nice soft warm boob rather than what was inside grin

ItsMyLastOne Wed 31-Oct-12 12:31:29

I had a Medela Swing and got loads out. But I was expressing as I couldn't get DD to latch on at all so I have no advice about how to do it alongside feeding.

Sam419 Wed 31-Oct-12 14:18:19

Hi I am maybe hijacking the thread here but I have been looking at breast pumps and just looked up the medula range.
What is the difference between the mini and the swing?
I will spend £100 on a pump if I need to but the mini is £30 cheaper??

I'm so confused on which to buy!

Thanks

SooOOOoolooOOOooo Wed 31-Oct-12 14:22:44

I expressed gallons of milk when I EBF my Ds, but 8+ years later with Dd I hardly got any out at all even though she successfully bf for nearly 5 years. No idea why it was so different though.

ItsMyLastOne Wed 31-Oct-12 21:11:17

I don't know the differences So but you can get both cheaper on amazon. Swing £85 and Mini £50.

I got my swing 2 years ago and I just looked at reviews and it seemed like the best one I could get, but I did only look for an hour or so.

ItsMyLastOne Wed 31-Oct-12 21:11:43

Sorry Sam not So! blush

EthelredOnAGoodDay Wed 31-Oct-12 21:14:49

Used the medela swing with DD very successfully, but got quite a quick let down and flow so think that helped?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now