Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Getting fit in late pregnancy...

(8 Posts)
ivanapoo Tue 30-Oct-12 19:30:33

I'm 34 weeks almost and starting to worry that I'm not very fit, and the impact this will have on labour.

In my first trimester I pretty much stopped doing all exercise due to feeling rough. 2nd tri I did a bit of swimming & walking but was moving house and started new job so it was sporadic at best. Over the past month I've barely done anything - swam a couple of times and that's pretty much it (not helped by tiny lung capacity and anaemia). Been stuck at work a lot so not even doing a 20 min stroll at lunch.

Have I left it too late to make a difference to my fitness?

ellesabe Tue 30-Oct-12 20:10:31

Oh gosh! Fitness is the last thing on my mind! Hats off to you for even thinking of it!

Sorry. Not very helpful grin

CroqueMadameHasFangs Tue 30-Oct-12 20:18:05

I'm 32 weeks and in my antenatal class the midwife said she wanted 'strong women for labour as its hard bloody work!' I got a kick up the arse I needed to get fitter!

I dont think its ever too late. I've started doing antenatal aqua aerobics twice a week an yoga once. Both very gentle, relaxing exercises and v cheap in local leisure centres. I feel so much more relaxed but also have more energy

ivanapoo Tue 30-Oct-12 23:24:06

I like the idea of aquanatal but where I live all the classes are daytime in the midweek which isn't great given I'm meant to be working up to 38 and a bit weeks!

I think I'll try walking more and have just downloaded a pregnancy yoga app on my phone too.

ellesabe I know what you mean!

CroqueMadameHasFangs Wed 31-Oct-12 07:44:15

That's a shame, my centre runs classes at 6.30-7.30pm so I go after work, yoga is 7-9pm too

Haggisfish Wed 31-Oct-12 08:12:55

Legally, you are entitled to time off for classes such as the ones you mention, although i can only imagine how many eyebrows would be raised at my place if I tried to do this. I have similar concerns, but the tiny lungs and anaemia make it impossible for me to walk up the stairs in one go, let alone anything more strenuous. Labour is hard work, but adrenaline kicks in and I don't think it makes that much difference, TBH.

DyeInTheEar Wed 31-Oct-12 10:00:44

I'm about 35 weeks and with the same aim. I'm hoping running around after my other two DCs has helped me keep active but I'm getting quite out of breath.

I've got the Davina pregnancy DVD for now and after. I've done it a couple of times and I think it's perfect for late pregnancy as quite easy going. I've got SPD and it's mostly doable.

I was in terrible shape for DC1 and put on loads of pg weight and got the baby out!

xPennyx Thu 01-Nov-12 17:09:31

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now