Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can you give me some ideas please on a name for my ante natal classes ?

(5 Posts)
fakeblondie Tue 30-Oct-12 17:48:06

I am actually going to do this? I`m sure our Trust is going to pull the plug on our already sparse antenatal class provision and i`ve been thinking of setting up on my own for ages.
I want to give the mums what they want and need some ideas please on what you would want if you were paying for your classes ? How long/times/how much you`d pay ect ...
Im trying to think of a name but just cant for trying.
So far i`ve come up with Bump to Babes, Bump to Birth and Beyond and Birthmothers !
Im a community midwife and and i suppose quite "earthy " so if i can find the right name would love to reflect that.
All ideas very welcome pls !

ICompletelyKnowAboutGuineaPigs Tue 30-Oct-12 18:17:28

Personally I would like a really balanced antenatal class that covers both traditional pain relief (including the risks) alongside non-pharmaceutical options like hypnotherapy. Obviously the classes wouldn't be able to go into detail on them all but when I had my first DC hypnotherapy or relaxation techniques weren't even mentioned.

Also there seemed to be an assumption that women would automatically have a hospital delivery and I would have liked more information about home births.

I think it would also be great to do classes for women who already have children as I have had different things to consider with each pregnancy (DC1 - induction, DC2 - elcs, DC3 due to arrive in April 2013 - vbac). Obviously when I had DC1 and actually did the antenatal classes I had no need to know about vbacs! The other thing is that when I had DC1 I made lots of friends with children the same age.

When I moved areas there wasn't an antenatal class that catered for 2nd time mums and so I feel like I missed out on a potential friendship circle when I could really have used one.

I would also love someone to talk about not only the benefits of BFing but also the risks of FFing - not to make women feel guilty but to allow women to make a real and meaningful informed choice. I know so many mums who just never considered BFing despite having no issues that would prevent them, simply because FF was considered to be equal/better to breastmilk.

Not great at names but quite like all your suggestions. How about 'Becoming Mummy Birth Classes' (for first time mums, though might exclude dads?) Maybe I'll just leave the name suggestions to ther MNetters grin

GoldPlatedNineDoors Tue 30-Oct-12 18:47:00

Mums In The Making

ISeeThreadPeople Tue 30-Oct-12 18:53:06

They should have named ours Hotter Than Hell. DH actually fell asleep and one woman passed out.

A really rounded view would be good. Ours were bloody awful. Apparently 'you won't last in the pool on gas alone but God loves a trier'. Should have sat on the woman tbh but I was sweating my body weight into a plastic chair and trying to suck in sufficient air through the humidity. Apparently they weren't allowed to turn down the heating.

Honesty, realistic overviews, alternative therapies, options and actually if you can procure them, some photographs of babies being born. Or videos would be better. Because pushing a sticky, clumpy-eyelashed, biro-decorated Baby Born through a knitted pelvis didn't really conjure up the magic of childbirth.

fakeblondie Sun 04-Nov-12 22:17:56

Wow thanks everyone. I really appreciate your ideas comments and feedback. Dont most mums watch birth dvds etc on Sky etc now ? They all seem to see so much now. I`m very excited to be starting this but think I`ll just start with one class and see how it goes from there ?
Thanks again.
Pls do keep any more comments/names coming x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now