Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is it possible to feel flutters as early as 11w6d?

(24 Posts)
JupiterJoy Tue 30-Oct-12 09:15:55

Is it possible to feel flutters as early as 11w6d? This is my second baby.

cbeebiesatemybrain Tue 30-Oct-12 09:36:40

Some people will say its not but I felt my dc1 at 11 weeks. I know a few people who felt movement really early, my friend is only 9 weeks and she felt flutters too. Ime it tends to be really slim women who can feel movement that early but that may just be coincidence. Congratulations grin

ProcrastinatingPanda Tue 30-Oct-12 09:43:12

When is it normal to feel fluttering if it's not your 1st?

cheesesavory Tue 30-Oct-12 09:44:53

I think you often feel your second earlier than your first.

ProcrastinatingPanda Tue 30-Oct-12 09:47:22

Yes you do cheese, but not generally at 11 weeks.

milkyjo Tue 30-Oct-12 14:48:38

I got proper kicks at 15 weeks with second, I completely missed any flutterings - probably from being too preoccupied with a toddler. I am 20+4 and getting quite obvious rolls and kicks visible from the outside. My tummy muscles are non-existent and had HG and lost lots of weight, also my placenta is on the back wall of my uterus (only found out at 20 week scan last Friday). I think its normal for subsequent pregnancies to feel something from about 14 weeks. The books say 16 weeks though but I posted about this thinking my dates were wrong and got a few people saying from 14 weeks. It can also be dependent on whether you have an anterior or posterior placenta.

WockComble Tue 30-Oct-12 15:00:59

Flutters at 11 weeks = gas. Sorry.

noblegiraffe Tue 30-Oct-12 15:08:04

Yes, I felt my second a couple of days before my 12 week scan. Def not gas, wrong feeling and wrong place! The feelings got stronger over the next few weeks and my DH could feel them too by about 18 weeks.

I think some people are more sensitive to movements than others (can also depend on placenta placement of course). By 18 weeks I was feeling movements so obviously and uncomfortably that it really makes me wonder how other people can not feel them until later. I wonder if it is linked to my rubbish pain threshold hmm

WockComble Tue 30-Oct-12 15:16:17

Really noble? Wow, I had no idea it was possible. I'm 34 weeks and still sometimes mistake gas for baby...

whatchagonna Tue 30-Oct-12 15:50:52

A baby at 11 wks is the size of a fig. And the size of a grape at 9 wks.

So I personally doubt it but I'm cynical by nature ;)

I first felt DD1 at 18wks (and I'm slim) and didn't feel DC#2 until 17wks (and was even slimmer...).

noblegiraffe Tue 30-Oct-12 16:06:26

Doubt it all you like, I know it was the baby that I felt smile I was lying on my front at the time and I felt a weird turning sensation that was disconnected from all my internal organs. That same sort of feeling in the same place has got stronger and stronger and no one could deny now that it's the baby! I'm now 27 weeks and the movements are enough to keep me awake at night.

ProcrastinatingPanda Tue 30-Oct-12 16:20:01

Sometimes I have gas that feels just like a baby moving. The day I had DS I had been in labour for hours and had him eventually in the afternoon the next day. When he fell asleep I went for a sleep too and when I woke up I had the exact same feelings that I had when he was inside me yet he was lying in the cot next to me.

MrsBungleScare Tue 30-Oct-12 16:24:09

Yes, I felt DC2 at 11 and a half weeks. Felt DC1 at 15 and half weeks so I obviously feel them early.

When I had my 12 week scan I told the sonographer that it was moving around, she put the scanner on and it was. I know the difference between baby flutters and wind! I don't get wind so low down and right in the middle.

I do think its possible to mistake wind for baby later on if you have bad wind.

MrsRigby Tue 30-Oct-12 16:25:02

The books and doctors/midwifes will tell you it's not.

However, I felt my current one move at around 9 weeks. This is my 4th child so I knew the feeling straight away.

MrsRigby Tue 30-Oct-12 16:30:31

The same books, doctors and midwifes will tell you you'll know when you're in labour, but the first I knew of it was when the midwife examined me and asked "don't you feel like pushing" - I was 10cm and a couple of minutes away from giving birth. I had no pain until my waters broke and didn't know until then I was in labour.

Every woman and every pregnancy is different.

SilentMammoth Tue 30-Oct-12 18:53:31

I did with dc5. Midwife didn't find this exceptional!

honeytea Tue 30-Oct-12 20:21:19

I felt flutters at 13 weeks with my 1st pregnancy, I'm not slim if anything I have some extra padding. My placenta is at the back I think that helps with feeling movement early.

dietcokeandwine Tue 30-Oct-12 21:28:13

I felt DC1 move at about 18/19 weeks, DC2 at nearer 15 weeks, and this time I most definitely felt DC3 moving - just very very light flutters/ripples - at about 12 weeks. So I would say it is possible. I can be very gassy during pregnancy (can't we all grin blush) but the baby movement flutters were distinctly different to gassy ones!

PinkFondantFancy Wed 31-Oct-12 04:43:19

I'm 17 weeks with DC2 and haven't felt anything yet, though I do have sn anterior placenta. TBH as someone said further up, after my DD was born some nights I'd lie in bed and feel the 'baby' move - I swear it was exactly the same sensation, except as she was in her cot it was clearly wind....

DolomitesDonkey Wed 31-Oct-12 04:55:54

12 weeks on the nose with second pregnancy.

LeBFG Wed 31-Oct-12 06:16:35

First time around I couldn't feel anything until 20 weeks - I was so worried! The second I had the shock of my life at 13 weeks - I felt two good taps in the same place. Definately not wind. "Do we need to worry?" asks DH. No one believed me grin.

My sister is quite rotund by nature, she says she felt movements at 15 and 13 weeks with first and second.

carrielou2007 Wed 31-Oct-12 09:36:28

I felt a few flutters with dd at about 22 weeks, had superhard abs then grin and anterior placenta. Ds was the same, anterior placenta again. I'm 17 weeks and nothing so far and yet again another anterior placenta.

Following dd have awful muscle separation, looked at having it surgically repaired after ds it is so bad, the consultant said the membrane bit that holds the sides together was so stretched it would not go back with being Sean back together and pointed out some areas of 'digestive waste' moving low down ewwww!!

I think the reason movements can't be felt sooner than 12 weeks is the uterus has not yet risen out of the pelvis?

cbeebiesatemybrain Wed 31-Oct-12 10:20:20

I knew someone would come on here and say it was gas grin

I know it was baby flutters I felt, it was not like gas at all and when ds got a bit bigger and the movements were more consistent I felt them in the exact same place as I had at 11 weeks and they felt exactly the same only stronger. The mw looked at me like this hmm when I told her but I know what I felt! I have only felt that when pg.

DolomitesDonkey Wed 31-Oct-12 10:39:20

I've been farting for 38 years and pregnant for 18 months (not all in one go silly!). I know the difference even if there are those that don't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now