Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

extreme thirst in early pregnancy

(16 Posts)
NeatFreak Tue 30-Oct-12 08:15:05

I'm about 7 weeks and getting progressively thirstier. I'm drinking quite a lot of water during the day but always feel thirsty.

I'm seeing GP on Friday for booking in etc but is this 'normal'?
This is my 5th pregnancy (have 2 dc and 2 mc) and don't remember this with any of them!

spg1983 Tue 30-Oct-12 08:23:36

Yes I had the same. It started from when I was 4 wks and went on until about 9-10 weeks. It was actually what convinced me to test in the first place as my boss noticed me drinking and weeing loads and took me to one side to say he was worried about me!! I just always felt thirsty, apparently in early pregnancy your kidneys get lots more efficient and process stuff quicker plus your body is producing more blood as the volume in your body goes up by a good 30-40% (I think) so it needs more fluids. Hope that helps.

Littlemissimpatient Tue 30-Oct-12 08:49:46

I'm exactly the same, 7 weeks and been very thirsty for last 2 I would say. Especially when I wake up in morning.
Not got my midwife appt for another 4 weeks so if you don't mind I'd be interested to hear what yours says.

stowsettler Tue 30-Oct-12 09:01:04

I was absolutely parched for the first 12-14 weeks. I've always drank loads (not just alcohol!) but it was getting to ridiculous proportions. I'm 24+6 now and it's a little better - but I still get major bouts of thirst where I could cheerfully neck several pints of orange juice in one go.

katesav87 Tue 30-Oct-12 09:04:58

I'm the same I'm 10 weeks and before I even knew I was pregnant I was so thirsty!! I'm still like it now nothing quenches my first but now if I drink to much I am sick can't win x

NeatFreak Tue 30-Oct-12 09:17:44

Glad its not just me then! It's just a weird symptom I haven't experienced before.
I now suspect the doc appt ok Friday is actually just to book me in with the midwife so don't think I'll be any further ahead after that...

HavingALittleFaithBaby Tue 30-Oct-12 12:36:45

My midwife said you need to drink double what you normally would in pregnancy! shock So yes I think it's within the realms of normal. I just have drink bottle to hand all the time at work and drink about 3 litres a day.

itsaruddygame Tue 30-Oct-12 13:27:50

I am 18 weeks tomorrow and still thirsty although probably not quite as bad now as it was in the first 12 - 14 weeks. I drink a ridiculous amount now compared to pre-pregnancy!

MamaMary Tue 30-Oct-12 13:28:52

It's normal. Just your body telling you what it needs. Drink up! smile

SecretCermonials Tue 30-Oct-12 13:29:18

Im like this have been so thirsty, drinking nothing but water really, am 30 weeks and still thirsty, I do suffer with gestational diabetes though.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Tue 30-Oct-12 13:45:44

<waves to secret!>

I heard skimmed milk is more hydrating than water actually, might be worth trying!

NeatFreak Tue 30-Oct-12 14:42:51

Thanks all
I am only drinking water with the occasional cup of tea but also like skimmed milk so i'll maybe try that. Fizzy drinks give me gas (tmi) so water is the best option!

Petcat Tue 30-Oct-12 15:01:52

I'm 9+3 and so thirsty I wake up at least three times a night needing a big drink of water. I can't stop drinking orange juice all day long too! My pregnancy book recommends eating juicy fruits like melon to help top up the amount of fluid you're taking in, apparently this can help you feel less ravenously thirsty.

SecretCermonials Tue 30-Oct-12 18:02:53

<waves to faith how are you getting along?>

Id love to drink OJ but it gives me really burning pee blush

HavingALittleFaithBaby Tue 30-Oct-12 18:14:21

15 weeks today according to my dating scan and feeling alright! Back on shifts but not minding too much smile how are you secret?

SecretCermonials Tue 30-Oct-12 18:55:57

Blimey thats going fast! How are you feeling? Im signed off now but fine in myself enjoying a bit of rest, 30+4 its flying by!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now