Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

18 weeks, colleague has chicken pox

(6 Posts)
NewMrsH Mon 29-Oct-12 11:57:46

Hello,

I'm 18 weeks pregnant and my colleague has chicken pox!? Will it affect my baby and should I raise the issue?

Thank you

Xx

EdsRedeemingQualities Mon 29-Oct-12 12:00:14

It should be Ok if you've had it before. If you're unsure you can get your immunity tested at the Dr's with a blood test.

Is your colleague still at work? If so they shouldn't be as it puts a lot of people at risk.

Also, I think the first and third trimesters are the worst times to get it, that's if you've not had it before. In the middle and you are probably Ok.

Supergal Mon 29-Oct-12 12:24:44

If you're not immune then potentially yes, and you ARE at risk being 18 weeks. Speak to your GP or midwife today. They can organise a check your immunity on your booking bloods so often no need for a further blood test.

mrsbugsywugsy Mon 29-Oct-12 12:35:51

Agree that you should get tested, and also that your colleague shouldn't be at work anyway.

My DP had chicken pox last winter and the Dr signed him off work. He was off for two weeks in the end. By the end he felt fine but he was told not to go back until a certain number of days after the last spot had scabbed over.

vodkaanddietirnbru Mon 29-Oct-12 12:41:18

you should be ok if you have had chicken pox in the past.

www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1109.aspx?CategoryID=54&SubCategoryID=137#close

www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2591.aspx

vodkaanddietirnbru Mon 29-Oct-12 12:42:38

p.s. your colleague should stay off work until 5 days after the spots first appear (according to health protection agency guidelines

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now