Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone else have constipation and then diarhhea [blush]

(13 Posts)
Tweet2tweet Mon 29-Oct-12 09:12:57

I'm pregnant with number 2. Over the weekend I was a bit constipated and then had diarrhea. Now have on/off cramping pains and badwind.

Didn't have this with first. Anyone have this? Is it normal? I'm 16 weeks and not sure whether I should call MW???

phoenixrose314 Mon 29-Oct-12 09:55:56

Totally normal, unfortunately. No-one does bodily functions like a pregnant woman!!

I managed to sort my system out by having half a pint of fresh orange juice every morning, as well as my baby vitamins - keeps me pretty regular. Make sure you're getting a decent intake of fruit and veg generally as well.

backwardpossom Mon 29-Oct-12 10:19:31

Totally normal, I'm exactly the same... one minute bunged up, the next, well, you know! I'm 21 weeks now and it seems to be getting a little better. I've actually stopped taking my pregnancy vitamins, as I don't think that was helping with the bunged up part... Maybe not the best idea but it does seem to have helped.

RightUpMyRue Mon 29-Oct-12 10:26:17

Add piles to that and I'm with you sad

Glamour central here.

emeraldgirl1 Mon 29-Oct-12 10:45:31

Oh, yes, IME entirely normal! I am a self-appointed expert on this as I had a long-tern chronic constipation problem before getting pregnant and so have been regularly amazed as to the difference in my bowel habits almost from day to day!! I have to take Movicol twice a day usually (not pregnant state) and am having a VERY hard time titrating a dose these days as sometimes I don't need movicol for an entire week and then I can go a week where I need it almost every day.

Only stable period was in the first 12 weeks for me, when I was terribly constipated - since then it's been a lovely roller-coaster... blush

FlaminNoraImPregnantPanda Mon 29-Oct-12 10:51:58

I'm thinking of changing my name to WhoopieCushionPanda. blush

12+6

Tweet2tweet Mon 29-Oct-12 11:23:32

Thanks for reassurance! I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one suffering from this 'little' problem!
However I am now concerned I'm not taking any pregnancy vitamins.....

FlaminNoraImPregnantPanda Mon 29-Oct-12 11:31:49

Pregnancy vitamins, what are they? confused

RightUpMyRue Mon 29-Oct-12 11:32:05

I stopped taking pregnacare because of the iron, in case that was contributing to the constipation. I think it helped.

I'm now taking Healthy Start which only have C,D and folic acid in them. They're NHS issue so that tells me I only need C, D and folic acid and all the other things in pregnacare are there so they can charge me £4 per box as opposed to the £1 per box I spent on Healthy Start.

backwardpossom Mon 29-Oct-12 11:53:25

Pregnacare and the like, Flamin - I was quite ill at the beginning of this pregnancy so wasn't able to keep much down, it was suggested I take vitamins to supplement whatever I was able to keep down!

FlaminNoraImPregnantPanda Mon 29-Oct-12 12:38:40

I can understand that, if you're not keeping anything down. Thankfully I've felt sick but have still been eating properly (apart from the weird stuff) so probably not necessary for me.

backwardpossom Mon 29-Oct-12 12:42:18

No, it's definitely not a necessary thing, hence I wasn't too bothered about stopping them smile

flowersfortea Mon 29-Oct-12 22:17:21

Folic acid is recommended in the first 12 weeks to prevent problems like spina bifida but you can stop it in the second trimester. I found the tesco own brand ones are tiny so easy to swallow! By the way constipation can sometimes lead to diarrhoea - google 'overflow' diarrhoea and you'll see hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now